Any dispatchers out there?

If there are any dispatchers out there I have a few questions for you. I have worked in several ambulance services and I now currently work full time at an ambulance agency that does system status postings. Since we work in rather larger county it is about 40 miles if you were to go from on side to the other. So my first question is do you enjoy making our lives hell? The agency I work for has gps tracking in the unit so at dispatch so they know right were we are at all times. So my next questing is do you like to change our destination 10 seconds after we pass the turn we would have needed to take to get there so now we have to drive 5 miles out of our way to get there now? At our dispatch they know exactly when we are to be off so our dispatcher (we get the same one every shift) will put us in position to get a late call every day. So my next question is would it help to get me in on time if I brought you coffee and doughtnuts?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think dispatchers do these things on purpose. As the calls come in they move cars in to the correct position. Simple as that. Of course I do bring our dispatch coffee and donuts on occasion as a curtesy.

yes as a matter of fact we do like to do everything that you asked. what a hostile post in the form of a question. As a former dispatcher this is what I have to say.

I used to dispatch and I loved making my crews pissed off. I also loved the fact that as a dispatcher I had certain requirements of my job and one of those requirements was to specifically piss people like you off.

Remember GPS is not truly real time, you can be travelling 75 miles per hour and be at mile marker 10 yet my system may only say you are at mile marker 9.7 and in .4 miles there is a turn but by the time my system is refreshed you are at mile marker 10.5 and you missed the turn I wanted you to take.

I will in the future, make sure that you have missed the turn to get to the post you need to get to and make you drive around just for fun instead of letting you sit at a local convenience store so you can get your coffee and donuts to bring to me.

Our jobs in Dispatch are to make our crews a living heck. It would mean a lot to me if you brought me coffee and donuts too, I just get so much excercise moving my fat butt around in a chair, I need more fat and calories.

Do I sound like someone here on this thread?

I work SSM and it happens. Get over it or move on. If you have this much anger over something so stupid, maybe its time to turn your keys in and find an ER or a completely different career. Before you come after me know that on more than one occasion I have spent over 18 hours on the rig on a suppose to be 8 hour shift. I know how much it can suck.

As for the dispatchers, if I were them, I would rake you over the coals every chance I get, especially if you gave me that kind of attitude.

Obviously, my co-posters are very upset with your complaints in regards to dispatchers, but me? I totally agree with you on this issue. Dispatchers do take a special class every 6 months or so (agency dependent) to study the area they serve and find the most inconvenience ways to disturb YOU and all of US from our ever so important slumbers, and well deserved down times. They don't actually watch the GPS..........NO, they have driven the trails that WE blaze to develop an average time frame between all YOUR posts, so they know exactly when to turn YOU around. As far as getting off on time, and always getting set up for a late trip, well until WE join the ranks of the almighty dispatch agency there is just NO such thing as "on time" because that is actually where the real fun truly begins. Dispatchers get a huge christmas bonus every year based on how many times they can cost the company money in overtime for YOU. The more you get in overtime, the bigger the bonus check. Coffee and donuts will never sway these well organized thinkers of the airways either. They have catered services of any food or drink their hearts desire, at their command, provided by the company of course.

Sarcasm, of course, dispatchers have a job to do just like you do. They don't usually have any time to say "hey, ambulancetramp is out there......let screw 'em". There are certain rules they follow that are typically referred to "run cards" (here in my area of the world). Doesn't matter what time it is or where your at. If they don't follow these rules they loose their jobs! Don't be a hater, learn about them and get to understand them better, you just might change your attitude about them.

Wow, Im not even a dispatcher and I find this offensive. Its one thing to vent but this is a bit insubordinate brother... you could have done this on a tastefull level at least.

Dont go bashing dispatchers in general because you feel the ones you work with are incompitant and out to get you. If you really want to throw jabs at people I can say (unofficially) the only employees Ive ever seen "purposley" screwed by dispatchers are usually incompitant, lazy, disgruntled or a combination. Most of thoes times its actually said employee with an "out to get me" atitude and not the dispatcher themself.

Now brother, I know there are times when things are rough. Ive been sent on calls where there is a closer available unit, whos either just getting on the road for the day or had their break, when Ive worked 12, going on 16 hours without one. Its no big deal... if you cant handle it then maybe as another said its time to move on. WE ALL HAVE OUR SHARE of bad days. Theres no problem with venting about this but as I said, you could have been nicer about it.

And in case you have no experience as a dispatcher... really bro, think! Ive done a short stint and it wasnt an easy job. Why do you think they get paid more than us? Not saying I agree, but the average dispatcher in CT starts between $15-$17/hr where as the average EMT starts around $11-$13/hr.

So every one decides to label me a hater and that is fine. If I was the only one that had these complaints with just one dispatcher then yes I would think that maybe it is me. However when every crew has the same complaints then is it me? It just amazes me that if I work a shift that is not my normal car we usually always get off on time even with the same levels. As for late calls being part of the job I think I have done this long enough to know that but thanks for pointing it out. We have the same dispatcher day after day and I always try to be nice. I may have come across with an attitude and if so I am sorry for that. But to all of you that are bashing me I just want to know if any of you have every felt upset with your dispatcher and felt like venting? That was all I was doing. It was my way of blowing off steam. As for dispatchers I have several that are friends and when I twist off about my current dispatcher they have the same feelings and say they have heard these same complaints a hundred times from different crews so its not just me. I respect them and what they do, I never said I didn't. I don't mind doing my job it is why I am here and I understand posting requirements and all that. As for the coffee and doughtnuts I was kidding and trying to let you all know that I was not serious. As I said above I was venting. As for all my brothers and sisters getting down on me and calling me lazy, incompetent, etc. All I have to say is you don't know my situation so don't be so fast to accuse, I just hope I am around to return the favor when you have a beef.

come on you came in here asking if any of us were dispatchers and the proceeded to slam and denigrate dispatchers as a whole. Wy shouldn't those of us who are or have been dispatchers not be upset.

Why don't you do this. why don't you take your post, show it to all your dispatchers and see what their reaction is. I'm sure that it's likely to be the same as it was here. maybe your friends might not take offense but you can see that those of us who are or have been dispatchers took offense and it sure as heck sounded like you were a hater by the tone of your post.

Before you go and get all bent out of shape about our comments, go show your dispatchers your post and let's see how they react. Get them all to say "hey, she's just joshing" and we will stop and change our opinion of your post but sister we've all been there.

There are a great many here who have been on both sides of the fence so yes I'm sure we do know "your" situation.

Can you actually believe it took you less than 8 posts to piss many of us off? I think that's a record for any new poster.

At least around here, that stuff usually happens because it's necessary. Sure, you just passed the street you would need to be on to take the new call, but you're still the closest unit. Of course, often times someone screws up. They try to get us in station an hour before EOW, so we don't stay later and they don't have to pay us OT.

So every one decides to label me a hater and that is fine. If I was the only one that had these complaints with just one dispatcher then yes I would think that maybe it is me. However when every crew has the same complaints then is it me? It just amazes me that if I work a shift that is not my normal car we usually always get off on time even with the same levels. As for late calls being part of the job I think I have done this long enough to know that but thanks for pointing it out. We have the same dispatcher day after day and I always try to be nice. I may have come across with an attitude and if so I am sorry for that. But to all of you that are bashing me I just want to know if any of you have every felt upset with your dispatcher and felt like venting? That was all I was doing. It was my way of blowing off steam. As for dispatchers I have several that are friends and when I twist off about my current dispatcher they have the same feelings and say they have heard these same complaints a hundred times from different crews so its not just me. I respect them and what they do, I never said I didn't. I don't mind doing my job it is why I am here and I understand posting requirements and all that. As for the coffee and doughtnuts I was kidding and trying to let you all know that I was not serious. As I said above I was venting. As for all my brothers and sisters getting down on me and calling me lazy, incompetent, etc. All I have to say is you don't know my situation so don't be so fast to accuse, I just hope I am around to return the favor when you have a beef.

OK Folks its been a while but IncognitoGirl can not remain silent any longer.....

First of all if you want to vent- VENT - don't throw mud.

You threw mud.

Second of all, Donuts? Can we say sterotype? I bet your mental image of most dispatcher is fat overweight people, and gee I wonder why? We get Donuts crammed down our throats all the time! How about a friut basket or some veggies from that road side stand you drove past? After all we are stuck for 12 hours straight in a room (some of those rooms no bigger than a closet!) with minimal chances to stretch our legs while your out in the fresh air getting more exersize than you dare would care for some days.

I work in a large dispatch center and we have GPS tracking.....and know this: WE DON'T HAVE CONTROL OVER THE CALLS! We have policy and procedures to follow or we get Canned just as you would be canned if you didnt follow protocals. So lighten up.

Things arent always as you might assume them to be....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.