Very sick kid

no allergies

no meds

glucometer reading - Low

No seizures

I don't believe the sugar would produce a rate of 210

The mexican clinic ran a glucose check - it also was low, they put 10 spoonfuls of sugar in his pedialyte and told them to hoof it over to the US

Nothing else done by the clinic- this was a one room mexican clinic with a overworked nurse and a overwhelmed doc.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the kid some sugar then. Try to get him to drink some juice, if not, well, we got that nice IV up there...

Any improvement after sugar administration? With that respiration rate, time to think about assisting respirations as well.

I'm starting to get way out of my league on this one.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Give the kid some sugar then. Try to get him to drink some juice, if not, well, we got that nice IV up there...

Any improvement after sugar administration? With that respiration rate, time to think about assisting respirations as well.

I'm starting to get way out of my league on this one.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ok, you give the weight appropriate dose of D25 twice and his sugar is now a nice 90.

The heart rate is still 190+ and he is still presenting the way he did when you got him.

What do we want to do now?

this kid's still in big trouble - you note gasping breaths now.

I'm thinking his electrolytes are way off screwing with his cardiac function... but I don't know how to fix that prehospital.

Someone else's turn... this kid is going to need to be intubated soon. Are there neonate appropriate doses of cardiac meds that would be appropriate to treat this? How about carotid massage?

I'm not sure if the respiratory is being caused by the cardiac, or vice versa, or if there's something else entirely that I'm missing...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

the family took him to a Mexican medical clinic in Mexico and they told them to cross the border and call your ems system to come get them. The parents speak excellent english.

Ok stupid question... did the baby drink the water? Like, was it mixed with a formula? Provided they could afford the formula. Hell, a freind of mine a full grown adult drank the water there and he was still obviously sick when he came back to the states.

well they were visiting family in the small town in mexico.

come on guys, theres one treatment that no-one has suggested.

the baby is gasping and his resp rate is now 10 and his heart rate is 210 now.

There is one thing that will probably help this kid right NOW

Glucose didn't do much.

You are still 20 minutes out from the hospital.

i remember reading about a study that showed how very young infants heartrates could be increased/decreased based on positioning. Tilting them head down, slowed the heart rate. Head up increased it and affected their respiratory process as well.

Don't think you are going for anything as simple as this, but it might be helpful to position the infant head down and see if that slows the heart rate a bit and makes respiration more effective.