Paramedic Burnout issues

jw

Jw, if you want to become a paramedic, go for it. If you want to become a firefighter, go for it. If you feel that by becoming a medic it will enhance your chances of employment, great; but be aware, be very aware, that you will still be a medic, and that means you must perform to the best of your abilties when dealing with patients. Even if you would rather be on the engine or truck that day, put 100 percent into your patient care.

I have seen firefighters who do not provide the care they are trained to initiate. This is a shame, a great shame. I am a career firefighter and love it, I also work part time for an ALS ambulance company and love it as well. The one thing you may see on here is the non stop controversy in regards to fire based EMS, expect it, learn to live with it. It will be there as long as there is EMS. I will also have to say that I have seen medics who have burned out, and become less enthused about work, and don't put 100 percent into patient care at times as well.

I just finished my paramedic this week, and it was a lot of study. A lot of field and clinic time, and a whole bunch of fun. I have made some great friends, some of whom I am now working with because they have been hired by the ambulance company.

What ever road you choose to travel, put your heart into it, and give the very best you have to offer. Learn as much as possible, and be willing to learn more. I never thought I would say this, but I am seriously considering more school. We will wait for deer season to pass us by first though. Good luck to you in your pursuit of a new career.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems everyone has answered the question about whether to be a paramedic for the sake of getting on an fd or to be a medic to be a medic. I agree that which ever you choose just choose it for the right reasons.

Now about burnout.... I am in my tenth year of providing prehospital medicine. I have gone through one stage of burnout and one stage where I wanted to "get away" for a little while. My burnout phase was rough I was working 120hrs. week on average between my 2 jobs all of it on an ambulance. after about two and a half years of it I found myself getting frustrated with my EMS coordinator my EMS system, my partner, and the firefighters in my station. I wasn't getting that little shot of adrenaline or excitement when I got to attend to an acute case, I was very bored and was going through the motions. The part that got me down the most was I didn't see an end in sight I had to work to pay my bills but I didn't want to get up in the morning and go to work. I couldn't escape to take a vacation or get time away from work for life because my life was work. The other part that attributed to this was a complete lack of support from my peers and superiors because we had to keep the ambulance on the street and I was next up on the overtime list so I had to do it. I tell you that story to inform you that, in my opinion at least, pay, hours, partners, runs or lack thereof, all will play into "burnout." What got me away from it was a complete change of Employer and a move across the country. Now I have a life outside of work and someplace to channel all my energy and time I spent at work before is spent doing something else for ME.

So enough about me. Burnout is real and can happen to anyone at anytime. if you are afraid you will go through a rough patch and not like your job and wonder why you invested all of your time for a 2 year paramedic license, field preceptoring for system clearance, probation, 28 EMS Calls in 24 hours, people who hate you for doing your job, a public who resents you sometimes, and a partner you might not like, well maybe you should go into nursing. However, if you want to invest all that because the rewards are worth the risks, then EMS is a great place to be. There is no other job I want to do or think I could be as good at than what I do. I love to get up in the morning and go to work even with all the "milk runs" and "mindless medicine" I can actually make a difference in those people's lives for an hour out of my day. Where else could I do that and not have to go back to school for another 8 years?

Whatever you decide to do good luck enjoy it and do not let it consume your outside life as well as your work life. Have fun with it and take the good with the bad

So enough about me. Burnout is real and can happen to anyone at anytime. if you are afraid you will go through a rough patch and not like your job and wonder why you invested all of your time for a 2 year paramedic license, field preceptoring for system clearance, probation, 28 EMS Calls in 24 hours, people who hate you for doing your job, a public who resents you sometimes, and a partner you might not like, well maybe you should go into nursing. However, if you want to invest all that because the rewards are worth the risks, then EMS is a great place to be. There is no other job I want to do or think I could be as good at than what I do. I love to get up in the morning and go to work even with all the "milk runs" and "mindless medicine" I can actually make a difference in those people's lives for an hour out of my day. Where else could I do that and not have to go back to school for another 8 years?

Nursing is not the "easy" option. As a nurse in a busy ER, 28 patients in 12 hours will be a slow day. Often that nurse will have 4 - 6 patients at any given time and they will be the same patients that are seen on the streets and at their very worst as the shift progresses. You really don't want to know what a med-surg nurse's shift can be like with 8 - 12 of these patients that are detoxing and sick.

There are some key points to avoiding burnout.

1. Find a career and not a job.

2. You should choose your job based on your passion for that type of work and not just money or perceived easiness of the job. Even the simplest of jobs can seem difficult if you hate what you do. There also shouldn't be too many surprises when applying for some jobs when it comes to hours and pay. The question is, do you have want the job bad enough to accept it as is?

3. Keep the job fresh and your brain stimulated by learning something new even if it isn't required for your job.

4. Accept the fact that you did all you could for the patient even if they died. That happens and many times there is little that can be done to change the inevitable.

5. Accept even the most annoying patient for what they are, provide care and move on.

4. Leave the job at work. However, that is nothing wrong with sharing your enthusiasm for your profession within reason. Just don't let it consume your life.

7. Enjoy your family and friends.

8. Vacations are great but are short term. Adapting attitude changes during the other 50 weeks of work will leave the mind and body in a position to enjoy that vacation.

2. You should choose your job based on your passion for that type of work and not just money or perceived easiness of the job. Even the simplest of jobs can seem difficult if you hate what you do. There also shouldn't be too many surprises when applying for some jobs when it comes to hours and pay. The question is, do you have want the job bad enough to accept it as is?

quote]

Vent, I agree with your last post, and I picked this portion to add to it:

If it were "easy" it wouldn't be called a job, it would be called a hobby.

JWRAIDER: I won't say where I was other than it was in the SF Bay area. I don't want to implicate anyone or any agency. Im only speaking from a handful of ride alongs that I went on anyway. For what my rookie perspective is worth I thought that all of the people I worked with were pretty committed. Some were having bad days, some tellin' like it is, some were just fed up, and others I prompted just because I wanted to hear the good and the bad . All in all they were good people and I don't think I saw anyone providing compromised care. I should mention that one of the biggest gripes, especially from the older guys, was always affirmative action, although that would need another thread! Down with you dirty Raiders anyway! The 49ers are going all the way to the superbowl this year- that is how I delude myself at the beginning of each season anyhow!

Toutdoors: One thing they do not teach us in EMT classes are politics and structure. Im not sure I understand the meaning of "fired based EMS" and all that comes with it. My understanding is that the paramedic is on the engine. Is this correct? What are the pros & cons of this?

bigj1130: How did you end up working 120 hr weeks? What were the circumstances-RE: how does the overtime list work? That's crazy but better than a corporate cube...believe me.

VentMedic: Salute! I know what you guys do and that the ER's can be full on dumping stations at times. What you guys handle is definitely not easy. I don't think surgery or ICU would be easy either, especially in big city settings.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback guys. It really helps hearing your opinions. My main goal is to get into the FD. If I were to become a paramedic to expedite that I would definitely be doing it at 100%. I wanted to join the FD right out of college but parental obligations sent me elsewhere. Ive always wanted to do it and at this point Ive spent plenty of time in the corporate world marketing shit that people don't need, or tracking how much shit those people bought but didn't need, and versions thereof. I would much rather make a difference and be in more diverse environments. I think I have the academic ability and the aptitude, and fortitude for the job.

I guess my last question would be to the FF's on 24 shifts. How do your wives/girlfriends handle the nights alone? Im sure there are going to be plenty of smart ass comments here LOL! Seriously though, some wives are afraid to be home alone with the kids, the kids don't understand why you're gone, or you're to fatigued to make quality time with kids/wife on off time etc. How do you guys deal with the stuff and what else am I missing regarding this?

J

JW, your last post could start at least 3 different threads, or add to about 9 I'm sure....(not actual numbers, but you get the hint).

Anyways, as far as the spouse deal.....it can be tough and does take strong women (and men for that matter) to hold up the home life end of the lifestyle. I am all EMS, and work 24hr shifts. My current situation is that I am engaged to another paramedic from another district who works a different shift than I do (same type schedule, opposite days). At this point we deal with it, and only get 10 days a month together, it will have to change when kids get in the mix. I would have to say (without any stats to back it up) that Fire and EMS have a very high divorce rate, and the causes range from any 1 thing to multiple things. You may want to research this topic yourself in order to get the info your needing to make a decision about your future. Good newbie questions in my opinion, but don't be shy about skimming thru the city for this info, it is out there!

Good luck with your decision making, and remember what was said here about being a medic 100%.

After being here in Afghanistan taking care of those that are trying to kill us, I can't wait to get back home on either an engine, ground ambulance or rotary wing aircraft.

I have to say I have never reached burn out from Fire/ EMS after 8 years of full time service. My ex-wife reached burnout from me being gone so much after only a year. I can honestly say I am still as energetic about EMS as I was the day I received that beautiful certificate in the mail.

Just when things seem to get you down just remember how many people across the United States have lost employment due to the economy. Also realize there are quite a few medics in the Middle-East wishing they were back on the Ambulance or Engine running on that late night intoxicated person at the park.

Keep smiling..it's not that bad

Also realize there are quite a few medics in the Middle-East wishing they were back on the Ambulance or Engine running on that late night intoxicated person at the park.

Interesting......... Most medics I work with, myself included, would much rather be over here. The pay is better, care is actually promoted through use of worldwide evidence based medicine vs. the opinion of one medical director, the perceived view of professionalism is higher, and the multi-cultural opportunities are endless. I wouldn't trade it for the world and I have no interest in returning to an ambulance or helicopter in the states. Plus with the way the dollar is trading, foreign pay is actually a decent investment in itself....................But to each their own.......... 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.