I start mt EMT course next month Any Advice?

Jahism

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start reading your textbook as soon as you get it! Also, get the workbook, it's a great help!

During practicals, if you're done with something, do it again. When the instructors are hard on you, they just want to make sure you're learning.

Good luck!

After you complete your course, apply for medical school. This way you never have to worry about being called an ambulance driver again! :)

It's 50/50 there.. Hated by doctors; hated by EMS. :)

Know your skills. They will be on every test you ever take as an emt. Know them step by step according to NREMT standards. Don't be afraid to ask questions until you are satisfied that you have a good answer.

Study Study Study, and when it comes to Hands on stuff practice it until you can do it in your sleep, blindfolded, and with one hand. Then practice some more!

and remember to breathe.

and remember the most important lesson you'll ever learn... The ONLY stupid question is the one that is NOT ASKED!

Have fun in your class and remember we're here for you

Wow! With the suggestions that I've read here, there's not alot I could possibly add!

Don't be satisfied with 'the book says'...don't be afraid to delve into what is presented and learn WHY things work the way they do....you'll be surprised how interesting it can get!

Take notes in class, and don't stop there. When I took my EMT-B class, I would spend a minimum of 2 hours after school with a 'bottomless cup of coffee' transcribing my notes, and cross referencing them to the book, that way just the notes would make a good 'study tool'.

As it's been stated before, dont be afraid to ask questions! This site can be a wealth of knowledge, and there are many here that are not 'bashful' about helping those new to the field.

You'll find that in the field of medicine, and EMS; there is no 'black and white', so be prepared to keep learning! This is an ever evolving field, and things seem to change on a daily basis.

Above all else, when it comes to taking tests.....do NOT 'read more into the question' than is presented! I've seen good students drive themselves completely batty, trying to read more into questions and scenarios ..... and end up with the wrong conclusions, results and treatments. When it's all said and done, relax....rely on your education (I hesitate to use the word 'training'), and all will work out well. Go back and study your weak areas.

Remember that any monkey can regurgitate facts as 'the book says', but it takes an EDUCATED EMT (regardless of level), to be able to explain WHY a certain treatment was rendered, WHAT results are expected, and what to do if the expected results aren't achieved.

As my 'signature' says, this is the time to 'kill 'em in the classroom, so you can save 'em on the streets!'

Make your mistakes in the classroom, and learn from those mistakes; not only the ones you make, but the ones you observe others make.

I feel a little differently about note taking than others it appears...

I hate note taking in class, in fact refused to do it in one of my classes where they tried to make it mandatory. I simply can't take notes and pay attention at the same time...I'm like a big, dumb dog. I need time to digest and even the simplest tasks, like listening, take my full attention.

So I would read the coming chapters before class, highlighting the points I found important, and then go back and make notes from my highlighted entries. Then I would condense my notes onto flash cards to study from.

Of course this was a little bit time consuming, but if left my little brain well prepared for class as well as leaving it nothing to do but look and listen to my instructors....

Good luck!

Dwayne

You have received lots of good advice here, but I thought that I might add one more little piece. In my opinion, the assessment skills are the key to everything else. You need to know what each part of the assessment is, why you are doing that part of the assessment, what you find in the assessment and what it means for the patient, and only then know what you can do to resolve the issues that your patient is having. It is the understanding of what you find in the assessment and what it means that will get your patient the treatment he or she needs, not only prehospital, but also in the hospital. This basically means maintaining your curiosity from the beginning of your journey in EMS until you finally leave EMS. Once you think you know what's wrong with your patient, treat it, and don't be afraid to follow up to find out if you were correct, and learn from your mistakes. This is the heart of a caring EMT or paramedic.

Good luck! :?: :?: :?:

for me, the secret was going to other sources for the same information. there are a bunch of good websites that offer emt tests and practice tests. they asked the same questions my class asked, just a bit differently to get a different perspective.

I took alot of notes, not that I re read them, but there is something about the act of writing something down that cements it in your brain