I won't go THERE, but I WILL say...

Having started the optional pre-course classes and seminars for paramedic school, I can now officially, after two years of basically holding the "Paramedics save lives and Basics save Paramedics" view of the world, I now stand here with my hat in my hand. I can now officially state that I am in the place of knowing what I do not know and lord oh, lord is there a lot of it and honestly it started with the extreme number of ways that a good, patent vein could be screwed up by an incompetent with a needle when time is of the essence and there is a shortage of all around skill and training in the box rolling down the road. After graduating from oranges to a number of very expensive IV access simu-aides, I have gained extraordinary new respect for those paramedics amongst us who can hit that bugger first time every time and am happy (though not yet experienced enough to be proud) that my first "live stick" (conducted on my instructor which increased my pucker factor to +100) was a success with a beautiful flash and a lovely, babbling brook-like flow. Once I remembered to take off the tourniquet. LOL. I couldnt figure out why the proctor was just staring at me. I got my flash and thought I was all good. Ooops!

So to all those medics, nurses, and ER docs out there, some of whose experienced hands may be guiding me over the next 18 months, I say "I realize that, though I was a good Basic, what I was giving was stabilizing first aide and what I am now being taught to give is life saving medical care. I now know what I dont know and have also gone to the nebulous place of I dont know what I dont know. So be gentle with me. Each new procedure or algorhythm learned is a maiden voyage, as it were" The EMS stick of awakening has come down hard upon my shoulders and I am humbled when my instructor, who just retired after 30 years it the field as a medic, both military and civilian, can look at a 12-lead and say quite confidently and correctly "Well...there's your problem."

I now also see why so many of my Basic friends (and I include myself at times in this) get excited over the lights and sirens cause a lot of us still hear William Shatner narrating even our most basic of BLS calls. I have also learned the difference between what to me used to seem an emergency an what I now know are the types of emergencies that should strike fear in the hearts of all who behold them and awe for those ALS responders who can not only bring order to that kind of chaos, but actually bring order which is compatible with life.

It used to be enough to know "the breath goes in and out and the blood goes round and round." Now I see why so many of my paramedic friends have said "Yes, but can you see why its important to know WHY the breath is not going in and out when it fails to do so and WHERE the blood has ceased to go round and round when the body decides to go FUBAR."

I will always be proud of the work that I have done and will continue to do as a Basic and will never be a Basic -basher. But after the last few weeks, I can truly say the real work has begun and I look forward to the day when I can bring order compatible with life to the chaos. After my first couple of ride alongs in medic school, I am also smart enough to know when to look to my medic proctor and say "I got nothin'" and know that I need assistance and to go home and study harder.

I hope all the ALS providers out there will be willing to answer my plethora of questions over the next year and a half.

what a wonderful testimony to further education. A lot of us on this site and beyond can learn from these words by our esteemed colleague nremt-basic.

Rock on dude.

Amen brother.

As a paramedic student myself I have found that I really understood very little of what I thought I did. As I near completion of Paramedic school the knowledge of what I control scares the crap out of me. But what scares me more is how many patients would have had better outcomes had I already been a paramedic rather than waiting so many years.

I think Dustdevil might just have a heart attack if he sees this thread...

Way to stand with your hat in hand and be humble, dude. Testimony to the learning process, right there.

:D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Hard to get the taste of those feathers (crow) out your mouth .. huh? As others described welcome to the other side. Yes, it does get harder and along with it comes the responsibility, which many EMT's fail to recognize and you will as well.

Good luck in school and thank you for your declaration. It takes integrity to do so.

R/r 911

That post should go in the Top 20. It takes a strong person to step back like that and come to that realization.

I think Dustdevil might just have a heart attack if he sees this thread...

Way to stand with your hat in hand and be humble, dude. Testimony to the learning process, right there.

:D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

That's the last thing he needs....

True that! I wonder how ol' Dusty is doing. Anyone got an update on him for us?

Wendy

CO EMT-B