Tac-Medic

Generally, yes.

'zilla

Almost impossible since they generally want you to be a SWAT member first, which involves becoming a LEO on a department with a team. For most of us, tac-med courses are an expensive waste of time and there are lots of better ways to spend your EMS educations dollars, though few are as fun. I took a tac-med course knowing I would probably NEVEr use it in the field, but I learned stuff I can use and it was a good time. Plus now I am also proficient with a Mossberg 870, MP-5, MP-4, and Beretta 9mm as well as various chemical, contact and "distraction" less lethals.

Being an LEO and EMT-P-T or tactical Medic, when asked I would recommend to anyone who asks to get on a SWAT team first, or find a team that needs a medic, and then after knowing you have a spot, taker the course.

As Doczilla said, your education could have been better spent elsewhere,, Almost no team will hire walk ons becasue of several reasons.

• 5 weeks later...

Doc and former LT are absolutely correct. Experience has shown that most departments like to take people from within that are trained LEO's and turn them into TAC MED. Question becomes how bad do you really want it??? TAC MED philosophy is usually indicative of patient care versus LE, depending on whom you converse with, it can be a topic of debatable discussion. The only one holding you back from doing what you want is you. I wanted, I worked, I achieved! Good Luck, Stay safe.

MAST in K.C.M.O. has an agreement with KCPD to do their coverage. To date I hear they have quite a few that have completed their training.

Wouldn't mind getting hired on with MAST as long as they pay decent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.