Texas EMS - How's the system there?

Contemplating a move to the Texas area (Fort Worth area) and wondering how things are for EMTs there. My wife wants to get closer to her family, but I'll be getting my EMT-I in Georgia before we move. How is reciprocity? Is Texas a National Registry state? I'll be NR here before I leave if we end up leaving.

How's the pay and is the system there fairly progressive? I checked into a group there, Medstar911, I believe it's called. Seemed like a good group. Before anyone says, "Its not about the pay, etc, etc", please don't. I'm well aware that I won't get rich in this field and that's not what I'm asking, I still have to get paid, not going the vol. route, so knowing what the pay is like in an area before I move is important. For me there is a point where it would be worth it, and a point where it wouldn't. If anyone can give me some insight I'd greatly appreciate it. If you prefer not to list anything here, please feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Llama

Fort Worth area pays halfway decent. They are switching services, however, so be careful where you go. As soon as you get to Texas, apply for reciprocity and they will grant it through your National Registry cert. If you have any questions, just shoot me an e-mail. I can hook ya up! h.woody.williamson@nolanvillefd.org

Hey Woody,

Thanks a ton for the reply. Been trying to contact some companies down there, but so far no dice, so it was good to finally get a reply. I was looking at numerous states, but through the weeding out process (read where my wife would like to live), it is either we stay here or move to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We really like what we've looked into concerning Fort Worth. So anyway, thanks again. I won't be out of school until May of next year, so I have some time, but it takes time to get ready for a possible move, so figured I'd check now. But I will send you an email once I'm getting closer to that time frame and would certainly appreciate any help you could offer in navigating the EMS waters in Fort Worth.

i live in NE ft. worth. medstar is a good place to work, they run their assess off but you get alot of good experience, also the hospitals hire EMTs, pay about 10-11 an hour.

as far as tarrant county, the choices are limited, as medstar has an exclusive contract with 90% of the area here, and the rest is covered my FDs. dallas has alot of options, TLC, lifeguard, dallas ambulance, and a TON others (including the company i work for, we alot of nifty stand-bys).

if you get your I and are NR, you can work for AMR arlington, they are a good system. i dunno about I's, but i know they have a pretty hefty sign on bonus for medics.

Thanks Red, Some more great info. Yeah I talked with AMR. They only have sign on bonuses for medics, and they pay relocation for them, but not I's. But it sounds like a lot of good options there. AMR had said he'd probably hire me once I got certified, but we'll see in a year. Hehe. I really liked what I saw online about medstar. Seemed like a very progressive unit. But this definitely gives me some ideas and things to work for. At this point I think it's pretty much a done deal, my wife really wants to move closer to family and I have no real reason to stay here. So again, thanks to all for the info! This helps a lot.

• 8 months later...

If you want to work in Ft. Worth, you should start applying at MedStar now. I don't see why they would hire a Basic since they are just about the only employer here, and as such can dictate wages, but you have a slight advantage with the intermediate. As far as I know, there are no intermediate programs here that I can tell.

They have no good reason to pay you more than a Basic. They have no good reason to keep you happy either, but there will be plenty of hours if you want them I'm sure.

Dallas has a denser population and the traffic is a pain, but that is where the work is.

Fort Worth is more rual but there is no rush hour here and there are clusters of businesses that provide anything that Dallas has without the crime..............which is why the work is in Dallas I guess.

Something to think about is where you will be living if you decide on Dallas. There are many factors so seek advice.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I work for Arlington Fire Resue. Arlington has a great EMS system composed of Intermediates and Paramedics. Each medic is required to have one Intermediate and one paramedic, if not two paramedics. Arlington EMS gets a lot to disregards on Major Accidents but mostly gets CP and BD and ME calls. If you are a Basic, you cannot work for Arlington EMS or fire becasue the minimum is Intermediate. I would look into MEDSTAR. Stay safe and make a positive difference

• 1 year later...

HI!

If you do make it to Texas you do have several options depending on what you are looking for. If you want to work in a 911 system, Med Star and Arlington are the biggest around the DFW area. I work for Arlington. We have a great working relationship with our Fire fighters. All of us are ALS providers which makes things easier. If you do not want 911, look into AMR Dallas. The pace there is less than Arlingtons and they run mostly Transfers.

If you are looking for a fast paced system then look into Arlington or Med Star..{but I do hear Med star gets their booties kicked volumn wise} Good Luck!!!! :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.