Texas EMTs and Medics who work standby events, please read!

Arff - Six Flags is the coolest job in the world isn't it!!!!! I had a blast when I worked at Astroworld back in the early 90's. You are correct, but you have a distinct difference, you have a doc available who accepts the medical responsibility for your activities, just as Six Flags does. The activities in question concern offering of EMS services without protocols or any type of medical direction. there is a big difference, the MD aspect....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we are lucky, but we have a group of First Responders that use an old ambulance for their response unit. I am a member of that group, as well as, now working fulltime for our coujty ambulance service. It's a '73 Dodge that is the classic creme white with orange stripes. We removed the "ambulance" stickers off it and left the lights as is, red and blue. We haven't caught any slack. Now since the last operator of the service retired, (a good thing). We never transport, just ourselves and our equipment. It has worked out good. Set up so that in the event of a MCI it can transport, if necessary. Never leave yourself open for a lawsuit. Our ride is licensed and insured under the City.

...based on what was originally stated and reviewing TDH policy, they were wrong..............

Who specifically is "they?" TDH or the medics?

Unfortunately as you and I both know, TDH is never wrong, even when they are!!!! :lol:

Word. But now in retrospect, I only thought TDH was horrible. Then I encountered the NREMT. What a joke! :?

• 5 months later...

First, to provide care, BLS, EMT-B, ILS or ALS in TX you must have medical direction. Second, all first responder and stand-by organizations must be licensed through TDSHS. Third, ANY vehicle that is used for medical stand-by or response must be licensed through TDSHS (this includes POV's). Most POV's are covered under your first responder organizations license. All vehicles (including POV's) must have a TDSHS BLS to MICU capable license or a copy of your FRO's license in it at all times.

While there are MANY organizations out of compliance this does not give ANYONE the right to provide care whenever or wherever they want without regards to regulations and/or medical direction.

• 5 months later...

I agree. If you are going to do this, do it legally and go through all of the proper channels.

I know of someone who is doing the same thing in my area. Just a matter of time before he gets shut down. It's bad enough when TDH is involved, but if the IRS came into the picture THAT would be funny (cash only business not reported as income).

• 6 months later...

Ok everybody, this will be my first post. As an EMT-B in the state of Texas for 8 years now, I have learned a few things. 1, TDH is always right, as this has already been discussed. That doesn't mean that we have to agree with them. Now that being said, I have to agree that this is totally wrong in what TDH is trying to do. As an EMT-B to do any kind of patient care, yall are trying to tell me that you have to have medical direction, Thats not possible. I work soccer tournaments in Texas as an EMT-B, and I have no medical direction, i stabilize patients and call for the nearest ambulance, and this is wrong?? Regardless, I don't have a vehicle that looks like an ambulance, I have a golf cart, LOL......But I don't see why TDH would even get involved in this, there are greater issues out there that TDH needs to look into and quit bothering people that are just trying to help. I've said it before, TDH will eventually take all the smaller systems out and make way for the big companies, its a phase out, rural and private companies are going, TDH is doing this just so a big company can come in and take over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.