Top 10 List of Rules for Student Practicums

As those of you who deal with practicum coordination know, some students have completely different views of what their practicum should be than what is expected.

I have started a draft "Top 10" list for students.... of course, only partially tongue in cheek.... but feel free to add as you see fit.... My hope is to come up with an entertaining, yet effective list to post in the classroom for students to read on a regular basis....

Top 10 rules regarding student practicums:

10. Always show up on time, which means EARLY

9. your uniform is just that – a uniform – do not show up in running shoes, old t-shirts, ripped jeans, or ragged baseball caps – professionalism is part of your duties

8. Do not refer to your preceptor publicly as a “b*tch” “cow” “jerk” bastard” or any other derogatory term – it does get back to them faster than you can you can say DCAPBTLS

7. Do not book holidays during your practicum and then expect time off to go to the beach with your friends - during your practicum, you have no social life – get used to it.

6. Do not call with excuses why you cannot attend your practicum like “I don’t have enough gas money for my car” – this is not my problem, and shows a lack of planning on your part.

5. If you don’t know something, admit it – don’t make something up – it just makes you look worse. Then, learn it so it doesn’t happen again.

4. Make sure that you re-stock the ambulance as it is supposed to be done, and right after your call is completed, not after you go for coffee.

3. Part of your job is hall duties. If the rest of the staff is cleaning, you had better be cleaning. If you see something that needs to be done, do it. Sitting on the couch while others work is a guarantee your practicum will be over that day.

2. You should be spending any “free” time during shifts studying or reviewing areas you need work on with your preceptor. Students who do not spend their time wisely will be considered to know everything and will be treated as such until you realize you do not know everything.

1. Do not ask to be assigned to the location where your boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other works. It will not happen. And, do not sleep with your preceptor, any other staff member, the chief, or anyone else at your site including office and janitorial staff. If they are remotely related to EMS, Fire, or law enforcement, they are off limits until your practicum is over.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

I just put something similar together. Feel free to direct students for a free download of this report.

Uncovering Paramedic Clinicals. This free report offers some much needed guidance for paramedic students when it comes to clinical rotations. Find out what to expect and more importantly what your preceptors will expect from you. Don't make those first mistakes that will follow you during your paramedic education. Includes real life tips from experienced field paramedics.

http://ems-safety.com/free.htm

Jim

Good list, Annie. Some other good points:

When you ask a question don't argue with whoever answered it. If you disagree then look it up yourself.

Always ask questions. It's not stupid. Stupid is not asking. And someone else may have had the same question but was afraid to ask. So don't be afraid.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Learn what is currently being discussed. Don't try to get too advanced or technical.

Don't try and "show off" what you do already know. Like don't try to impress everyone, especially the Instructor/ Preceptor.

Do the homework. In doing so do it correctly. Don't rush it to get it done.

If you don't know or have poor study skills, then you had better improve them. You are dealing with people's lives.

Keep all discussions professional. Don't make any "lively" discussion(s) personal.

Tudor those who are struggling. If you see someone having difficulty, help them out. I know it sounds corny, but don't leave anyone behind.

If you are allowed to miss so many classes (which is rare), don't miss them just because you can. Attend every class.

Do not trade shifts with someone else when it is your time to ride because you don't like the Preceptor, Or because you prefer another Preceptor (especially if you are in lust with them or because they seem "easier", or if you just don't want to do it at that specific time. If absolutely needed, trade with someone in your own class. But don't make a habit of it. Take whoever or whenever you are assigned.

• 3 months later...

Not an instructor but hope you dont mind a contribution, I believe it to be 100% true.

When someones going over something you already know dont blurt out, "I already know that." Shut up and listen again anyways. You may learn something new... or just come off as a cocky and arrogant pri*ck. From there you can quite possibly reffer back to sirdukes #11 rule.

Good points, but i think it is only fair to turn the tables and give the students a chance to speak to power, so is my short list of preceptor / teacher suggestions --- please add yours. (which is tongue in cheek, so dont get too pissed off):

Students please realize this of your preceptor:

1. It is important for you to be early, but realize that your practicals will not start on time because:

two preceptors called out sick at the last moment, and one of them was supposed to bring the check sheets. Of the ones that did show up, 4 are on smoke break, and three are busy taking a large BM after drinking their second gallon of coffee that a.m.

2. Those who can, DO; those who cant DO, dispatch; those who cant dispatch, teach.

3. Your preceptors are divorced, and havent been laid in over 6 months (with a partner) so this is their form of sexual gratification -- screwing you -- they cant wait for you to screw up the order of KED straps so that they can fail you.

4. Do not argue with your dictator, i mean preceptor, they are always right. It doesnt matter that what you saw during your third rides in real life contradicts everything that is occuring in their scenario. Keep your mouth shut and do it as they want --- this will be the last time you ever see them in your life, unless you attend a star-trek convention.

5. You know what the difference is between a female EMS preceptor and an elephant? About 200lbs, but you can force feed the elephant to make them equal out. Whatever you say, do not make any derrogatory statements about cats. Cats are gods in their worlds, any negative statements will get you an automatic fail. Try bribing them with a lime colored moo-moo to wear at home, a gift certificate to the local buffet, or a rainbow sticker for their saturn's bumper.

That should stir up some answers from the other side.