"There's gotta be zebra here somewhere!"

Michael

At first it sounded almost as bad as Leprosy or something. Yes, Leprosy is still around. In the deep south it is usually caused from eating armadillo meat. Still very, very rare, but it still happens.

What's the link between armadillos and leprosy?! Never heard that one before!!

Yes... leprosy does still exist, fortunately it doesn't carry nearly as much of the stigma that it used to...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Armadillos are natural carriers of Mycobacterium leprae. If memory serves from having lived down south, I think it's the nine banded armadillos that carry it. It's present primarily on their feet.

I don't remember ever hearing anything about eating armadillos, but we were always cautioned against handling them.

We used to call them "nature's speed bumps" because they were often seen right before, or after, getting hit by a car. They jump, too, when scared. If they jumped at just the right time they'd slide up the hood and ramp off the windshield. Some of them got pretty decent air time before their rather abrupt landing.

-be safe

In LA we did our best to avoid hitting them. I know a few folks that had their oil pans busted from them. When we have hit them we'd ask someone if they were up for Road Kill Stew. :lol:

I can't even watch ants on TV w/ out scratching.. But I found myself, subconsciously scratching, as I was reading the part about them burrowing.

Of course, this story would be much better, with pictures!

OK, be honest. How many people are scratching various parts of their body after reading the story?

GuiltyAsChrgd.gif