Hospital settles for childs death, faults EMTParamedic

This story is taken from the front page of this site, however I would like to generate some disucssion into the matter.

In the body of the article, I have bolded the sentences that stood out to me. Basically the parents are stating that an EMTP had no business triaging patients in the ER waiting room, especially if they are going to miss signs/symptoms that an RN would have noted right away.

Family Gets Settlement After Daughter's Death

Reporting

Suzanne Le Mignot HARVEY, Ill. (CBS) ― A Chicago area family has been awarded a multi-million dollar judgment -- after suing the south suburban hospital where their daughter died. The girl's parents spoke exclusively to CBS 2's Suzanne Le Mignot.

"We didn't think we'd bring her there with what we thought were flu symptoms, something a little more serious... and then, bring the blanket back home with us," said Eleanor Tomczak, victim's mother.

Eleanor Tomczak describes the day, almost eight years ago now, that her daughter Victoria died at Ingalls Memorial Hospital in Harvey.

"We seen she wasn't breathing, the color was gone. I ran out, I grabbed the doctor," said Michael Tomczak, victim's father.

A jury recently found the hospital and an emergency room doctor negligent in the 41/2-year-old's death. Victoria died from bacterial meningitis. The Tomczaks were awarded $7 million.

"No amount of money is going to bring her back. We're never going to get closure of this," Michael said.

The Tomczaks say on a Monday their daughter wasn't feeling well. Victoria was vomiting and she had a headache. After talking with the child's doctor and seeing that Victoria wasn't getting any better, they brought her to the emergency room two days later. They say an EMT paramedic assessed Victoria's condition when they arrived. But they say, following their lawsuit, they hope that changes.

"Just leave it to the nurses, if they're the only ones that can do the assessments that might catch these signs," Michael said.

In response to that, the hospital's attorney says: "EMT paramedics are properly trained and supervised to assess patients as to who should see the doctor first."

The attorney also says testimony on behalf of Ingalls during the trial showed "The child had a fatal disease when she came in the door and no intervention would have prevented her death."

The hospital's attorney says they also plan to appeal the jury's $7 million award. Meantime, Victoria is survived by three brothers. The Tomczaks say they will use some of that money to pay for the boys' education.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the hospital's attorney stood up for the medic doing the triage.

Isn't there something out there, JCAHO rules or something similar, that mandates an RN do triage?

Either way, seems the question of paramedic education has come up *again*.

-be safe

actually, the only thing that is required is that a Qualified medical person do the triage assessment. If the hospital says that their medic is a qualified person then that hospital is following the rules.

The paramedic had nothing to do with causing this little girls death. It sounds like the doctor 2 days earlier screwed up. This little girl was so far gone she had already quit compensating, and that is an extremely late sign. This child basically was dead the minute the doctor 2 days earlier sent her home.

I feel for the family and I pray I never experience burying my child. These people are still dealing with the grieving process and are looking to blame someone. They need to focus there blame on the doctor from 2 days earlier.

At many hospitals I have seen LVN's triage. I am confident that most Paramedics would be more qualified to perform an accurate triage than an LVN. Between an RN and a paramedic in some ways I would still say the education of a paramedic is geared more towards an accurate triage than the much better educated RN. Now an experienced ER RN would probably beat the pants off a paramedic but odds are they would be in back doing patient care rather than triage. Is my ideas clear as mud?

I mean honestly, whether it was an LPN, RN, Medic or Basic, anyone could have under - triaged this patient. As was stated earlier, this family is grieving, and are looking to blame someone, and they are in my eyes, correct for placing blame somewhere other than on themselves - somewhere in the healthcare system. The doctor obviously missed the big picture with this pt. two days prior. This medic has as much responsibility in her death as the clothes she was wearing - NONE. This may very well devestate this medic as well. What a horrible situation in which I hope to never be apart of.

I feel bad for them, but they only want money. They don't care about anything else. If they cared about what happened, they'd sue for laws to be created that would change how the hospital operated. Not just for money.

These are some people who lack funds, and saw an opportunity to win money. "We SEEN she wasn't breathing..." That right there says VOLUMES!

Actually, it is very specific that ONLY an RN or a physician representative (NP or PA) is the only acceptable persons to be able to perform triage!

If you see an LVN/LPN or even a Paramedic performing triage at a hospital setting in the ER, they might as well start writing out the checks. This is very specifically stated and described over & over in the EMTALA, COBRA regulations, in fact one example of whom that they use is for FAQ' s is a Paramedic allowed? The answer is an inequitable NO!.

Sorry folks, not even a regular RN is responsible enough. Unfortunately, many see the "tree" as a pain in the arse and generally place the 'non-best" clinical providers in this area. I totally disagree, it is one of the hardest jobs if performed correctly.

Emergency Nurses Association has studied and researched this thoroughly, and have developed training & education programs to increase and accurately triage patients.

Paramedics might be able to perform such tasks in disaster setting, but this is a totally different setting and type of triage. Yes, everyone realizes chest pain but how about meningococcal rash or fifth disease? Yes, it matters. Yes, there are some seasoned and very well educated Paramedics that have expanded their role.. but; that is an exception and rarity not the common.

Let's leave the ER to those that are trained and educated for that, we still have not conquered our specialty yet.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.