EMS superstitions?

Almost EVERY time I put my GPS unit in the truck we will pull a lengthy out of town trip to BFE....so I stopped doing that. Also, I love to play Tetris online and every time I do I will get called out in the middle of it...so I stopped doing that too....I'm running out of options

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the one time you go into work just a "little" hung-over, BAM, you're slammed the entire shift...So I'm told.

I remember one department I used to belong to; our ambulance company had their annual banquet. Most members of the fire department are also members of the ambulance (two seperate agencies). Almost everyone got wasted that night because two neighboring towns bring in one of their ambulances to cover us so we can celebrate. Anyways one thing leads to another most everyone is drunk that night and first thing the next morning at sun up a fully involved structure fire. A large 2 story house.

Never say you have not had any particular call type in a while, as that will seal your fate that, lo, it will be your very next call!

The "Q word" is so fragile, it shatters just by stating it's name.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER Ever say that a shift or tour is too "Q word", for soon it won't be!

For the uninformed, the "Q word" is the opposite of "Loud".

The bosses obviously will not tell you, but there is actually a device, built into your ready rooms, your vehicles, and secretly attached to your belt buckles and pants zipper, that tells the dispatcher you just got food. Dispatchers therefore have to give you an assignment, or the dispatcher gets into trouble for not giving the assignment out.

I'm pretty sure our device is a switch installed under the toilet seat. It's activates a callout after 30 seconds of pressure. :shock:

Of course, if you are going on that fishing trip early in the morning, you stay up all night running too.

Had that problem for an early morning T-time for a golf tournament a buddy of mine signed me up for. Suppose to be at the golf course at 8:00, got a call to deliver a baby at 6:30. I slid under the wire.

Of course, if you are going on that fishing trip early in the morning, you stay up all night running too.

Make it my first job interview for the NYC EMS, and a late job besides, making me over an hour late for the interview.

I got the phone call at 1500 hours, telling me to come in at 0800 hours the next morning. This was too late to call my company to get that night off, as I started at 1630.

I was really tired, probably looked it, and after not getting the job, heard unsubstantiated rumor mill scuttlebutt that I supposedly was on drugs when I did get to that interview! How is someone supposed to look, when they are already up for over 24 hours, disheveled from working 17 hours nonstop, and rushing via public transportation (HA!) ? They refused to reschedule the interview when I first got the phone call.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.