EMT School Field Ride-Alongs

we have our own EMT classes and Paramedic School. I didn't follow the changes in the paramedic school since I graduated (I am not a preceptor).

As far as EMT, our students are required to ride for 40 hours. They are assigned to a tenured staff EMT who is willing to give them the needed attention. Two of the assistant instructors ride full time, and frequently get students. All students must do assessments, vitals, and write a PCR on patient encounters. The PCR is reviewed by the crew, and handed in to the intructor.

I was wondering what other schools did for their ride-alongs portion of the class?

They they simply sign up for a ride-along with the local ambulance company and get randomly assigned to a crew?

They take an evaluation or skills check-off sheet with them? What's on that sheet?

Are they assigned to specific preceptors or FTO's or people who volunteered to take riders?

Do you go by hours or patient contacts? How many?

Do any of schools have the teachers also precept the students in the field?

What would be an ideal system for you? Is it realistic? What resources or program modifications would it take? Be specific.

During my required ride along (singular) we were assigned a semi-random 911 crew. The coordinator at the ambulance company did try to get people into the busier stations, but if the station was out when we arrived then we were just out of luck. We were required to do an eight hour ride along and eight hours of ER observation. There was no minimum patient contacts or skill demonstration during the ride along.

Mateo, what was your EMT program like?

The way you described your paramedic internship seems similar to the standard I'm familiar with . . . I'm trying to see if a similar program could be applied to EMT school...or at least parts of it, like specific precetors and patient contacts versus just a 10 hour shift...

Mateo, what was your EMT program like?

The way you described your paramedic internship seems similar to the standard I'm familiar with . . . I'm trying to see if a similar program could be applied to EMT school...or at least parts of it, like specific precetors and patient contacts versus just a 10 hour shift...

Oh, I was thinking you wanted any EMT stuff. I was not thinking just Basic. Sorry about that.

The EMT program I was in as far as clinical went was to ride for 24 hrs, two twelve hour shifts. We signed up with the Training officer of the county, on days we were free. The training officer then put us with certain paramedics. Some were trained, some were not. Then we did 12 hours in the ER. We were assigned with a certain nurse.

EMT-P students going thru FDNY-EMS Academy are assigned to ride with a FDNY Paramedic unit, most if not all of the teaching hospitals in NYC that run medic programs assign you to ride with the medic unit out of that hospital St. Vincents, Jamaica, etc....

Northestern and Springfield College also ride in NYC on FDNY units.....

MY emtb class required one 8 hour ride along no paperwork random crew..

medic class ... one word ... fisdap ...

www.fisdap.net for more information ...

How many hours / 8-hour tours do you need on the ambulance for your medic?