Italian sunbathers and dead children

akflightmedic

no I would have stayed, but my wife would not.

Maybe I have been around too long but these people are dead, they don't get any deader, they aren't gonna get up and walk around. They aren't gonna arise like Lazarus did when Jesus told him to.

They covered them up and waited for the mortuary fiends to come get them.

I would more than likely have moved my location down the beach but hey, I can't do anything more for these girls, so why should their deaths ruin my fun.

I understand the gypsies point of issue but would they not have done the same thing to an american tourist or a French tourist? Maybe the mortuary people would have made it there sooner but dead is dead.

Here in the U.S., it's not uncommon for the body to lay on the street, in the house, car (wherever) for an hour or more as the M/E and CSU people do their jobs. The only 'subdued' people around are those that are around for the 'ghoul factor' (rubberneckers).

If you want 'respect for the dead', then go to a funeral home! If I'm not mistaken, the average funeral isn't a mourning of the death, but a celebration of that person's life, and life in general. If I'm supposed to be 'subdued' during celebrations, then party decorations would be sold in dark colors; instead of the happy festive colors currently on the market!

If faced with that situation, I would offer a silent prayer for that person, their family and friends,... but I'm going to go on with my life - business as usual-.....

This is an issue of viewpoint.

With what we do for a living, we are hardened to death. We see it, we experience it, and for those with bad luck, we see it daily.

We (EMS) is the group that it wouldnt effect. Police, ME, firefighters, or others wouldnt either. Your typical family from the US would be a little freaked. They only deal with dead when they are prettied up in caskets.

Thats my only contribution. Carry on.

me being just me, i would quietly cry/mourn/pray for the loss of their young lives, then move down the beach and see if i could continue my day (good posibility i wouldnt be able to). allow room for the family to be around the bodies of their children/friends/etc. i'm not sure if moving down the beach would be more our of respect for the dead, or those mourning the dead... prolly the latter.

Why didn't they move the bodies to more appropriate area of the beach if there was one? I never been to the beach so I am not sure how they are set up but I assume there could have been a more appropriate place to put the bodies than on the beach for all to see.

As far as the people staying on the beach that shouldnt be no more of a problem than some one in a resturant having a MI and people keeping eating. It is a public place and life goes on. If the beach patrol was so concerned they should have closed the whole beach down but apparently that wasn't done. Life has to go on.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I know I am reopening a 4 year old string, but I reread this while looking up something else.

1) The bodies could have been removed to someplace less "in public view," to await the "mortuary police", if applying the standards of my location (NYC). As also stated, that may not be the policies used in that beach area in Italy.

2) I would have gone to a more somber tone, and moved my partying a distance away out of respect to any friends and family of the deceased still in close proximity to where they were covered on that beach.

3) How many people, due to some kind of identifying with celebrities like Dale Earnhardt, or the recent passing of Michael Jackson, forgot, and are forgetting, that the world kept turning before these individuals were born, and now that they are gone, the world will continue turning.

As mentioned in that 1950s song about the couple breaking up,

Don't they know it's the end of the world, it ended when you said "Good-By".

As mentioned in that 1950s song about the couple breaking up,

Actually, it was 1963, but good call.

RIP Skeeter Davis.

1931-2004