If you're also a FF....

tiedyedbeth

Ideally, I'd like to get hired civil service. The base I'm local to has a combined FD/EMS. I intend to get up with them shortly to find out if I'd have to qualify FF I and II.

While I've been around FDs - my mother was a fire inspector for the Navy, and for a couple years in Bermuda she was a FF because they'd required it for her position, I don't really know anything about the training. Mom is supportive of me going for it, and says there's nothing like heading out at 0200 in a truck in turnout gear. But I'm a little hesitant for all that I'm attracted to the idea - I never had as strong a burning desire for FD as I did for EMS (pun intended LOL).

Any thoughts?

Find a service seperate from fire. It is hard to be required to do both and it really leads to a divided person which ultimatly leads to patients suffering. And yes I was a FF.

Like Spenac said, find a service that it is separated. You do not have to do both. Doing both can be difficult, I do both. But if you are not interested in one of them, then why do both? Fire and EMS are two different fields that are for some reason grouped together. Don't force yourself to do both, because if you do and you are not into both, you and your patients will suffer. And hey its all about the people we are working to help, right?

Being a Paramedic first and then getting on the FD is what I did. I didn't have to other than needing to make more money. As soon as I turned 21 I started to volunteer there. There were three of us at a private ambulance service being top paid at $5.50 an hour back in '89. I took the test and was second on it. The only one ahead of me was one of the other three of us. Got on full time the day after my 24th birthday.

I always said that EMS was what I wanted to do, but the firefighting was for kicks & giggles. The Chief didn't like that very much. Even though I was a Paramedic first, my main job was as a Firefighter. I was making a lot more money on the FD, I was only being paid $250 a year to be a Paramedic there.

Thanks. I've been thinking about it and I don't think that my heart would be quite into it. I don't think it's something, even training wise, to get into without being into it 100%.

Good thinking. :)

Find a service seperate from fire. It is hard to be required to do both and it really leads to a divided person which ultimatly leads to patients suffering. And yes I was a FF.

OH MY GOD, and We all know how that Turned out don't we?