Ever clip a sign?

Clipped mirrors with other vehicles while in our bariatric truck. That truck was damn near the width of the lane of traffic, but with mirrors, it was wider. The first incident a truck in the oncoming lane clipped out mirror as he was about to turn. The second we clipped mirrors with a city bus; two larger vehicles in small lanes just don't play well. The worst part about it was that, while no damage was done in either incident, the sound of the collision was really quite terrible.

At least I didn't run over a fire hydrant and then back into the I-beam in out bay like another kid did...in the same week...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? I know you wouldn't be working for us with a track record like your's. Obviously you missed my post. I drove much bigger vehicles than ambulances almost 2 million miles and never even scratched a bumper.

You really need to focus. Be aware of your surroundings. If you're driving, that is your focus. Screw the cell phone. If it's really important, they'll leave a message. If you rear ended someone who slammed on their brakes, you were to close. There are no accidents, only collisions. While you're correct in saying the odds of getting into a collision increase with the amount of miles driven, remember it is always somebodies fault.

5 wrecks in how many years?

You would also not be working for us. I spent 15 years working in ems and my one and only wreck when I was driving was in my first year as a emt.

Like Jp said, you need to focus and not brag about how many wrecks you have been in. It makes us think you are reckless and careless.

Wise up and think a little and be more careful. At least one of your accidents, the telephone pole would have been prevented had you used a backer.

Are you serious? I know you wouldn't be working for us with a track record like your's. Obviously you missed my post. I drove much bigger vehicles than ambulances almost 2 million miles and never even scratched a bumper.

You really need to focus. Be aware of your surroundings. If you're driving, that is your focus. Screw the cell phone. If it's really important, they'll leave a message. If you rear ended someone who slammed on their brakes, you were to close. There are no accidents, only collisions. While you're correct in saying the odds of getting into a collision increase with the amount of miles driven, remember it is always somebodies fault.

I agree with you. There should be no "bragging rights" with people who have these minor bumps and dings. Having them in the first place usually means you are doing something wrong. The unnoticed Stop sign, mail box, or kerb, could just as easily be an unnoticed kid.

Those big glassy things on the side of the doors should be used for more to check lipstick, hair, food in teeth etc, so use them. Keep the head moving left to right, remembering that looking in the direction of travel, and not at a map, is also a good thing.

Oh, and turn the CD player off, you are not heading down to the beach with your friends. ](*,)

Sorry, never hit a sign. but, my windshield has claimed a raven or two with me behind the wheel. Only actual reportable incident I had was when a 1972 POS turned into my lane causing a reportable dent in his rear quarterpanel. No damage to the rig.

No... no signs, but I did get the med unit up on two wheels going around a sharp turn (just kidding) you need to pay attention on your backing if need get out and look behind your apprentice. If you clipped it going forward you need to learn to drive all over again. Treat your equipment like it is your own!

Many businesses are requiring drivers to place safety cones at front and rear bumpers so that when you get ready to drive you have to make sure you are clear front and rear. While I know on emergency scenes that may not be practical to fight with cones but perhaps the extra 5 seconds checking would help stop the denting of ambulances.

• 2 weeks later...

Last november I skid out of the road doing 90 km/h (not sure what that translates to in your strange measures), flipped round once, close to twice, and very much clipped a lamppost while doing so. Not many signs, though...

I've never clipped a sign, but I did smuck a safety pole at the hospital when backing into the ambulance garage. The funny part of the story is we receive monies from the townships we provide service to. The patient in the back of the truck happened to be a township council member. He was giving me a hard time about not being able to back up. My partner told him I have backed into that garage at least a hundred times. She no sooner said that when we heard a boom...the truck met the pole. The gentleman laughed until it hurt. He did send me a letter apologizing. He felt he distracted me and that caused the bump. Oh well.

Last november I skid out of the road doing 90 km/h (not sure what that translates to in your strange measures), flipped round once, close to twice, and very much clipped a lamppost while doing so. Not many signs, though...

Sounds like a wild ride. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.