Reciprocity Problems?

Christopher ,, sorry you are wrong,,, I was certified in NYS for 20 years, and NEVER held NR, (didnt need it) Only got NR after a NYS refresher cou rse when i went to work elsewhere....

Even though I could have sit for the NR exam right out of medic school (since NYS teaches to the National DOT standard) I never did because i didnt need it...

Some states like N.Y. if you want to get NR after medic school, you have to pay an additional fee to the NR of 75-$100. and sit for a different NR test, practical and written.... you would think it is automatic, but that is not the case.... sorry

Having done research, I have found that while many states will use NR for reciprocity, Many states will only use NR for an educational equivalent that will entitle you to sit for their state exam. For example, looking into reciprocity in the state of Florida, they will only recognize the NR cert as an educational equivalent. This comes directly from the Florida Department of Health. This educational equivalent will entitle you to challenge their state exam. Ultimately you will still have to challenge the state exam. So in short, when it comes to Florida (for example) you can show up with multiple forms of educational equivalent. An NR Cert, A license IN GOOD STANDING in another state, or an approved national curriculum EMS course having been completed within the last two years (I believe).

Bottom line is to contact the states EMS office or Department of Health to find out exactly what is needed for that particular state in which you are seeking reciprocity. At this time, there seems to be no organization between states on what the process is. This will require you to do some homework. As I said, this starts with contacting that states EMS office or Department of Health.

Hope this helps.

List of EMS offices for each state.

State EMS offices

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.