Do you warn other motorist that cops are around? Dangerous?

spenac

Do you warn other drivers about cops?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Some times

Ouch darling!! We don't want to become too jaded:!

Jaded? Have you ever been inside even a small to moderate sized Trauma ICU of 20 beds to see patients whose lives were cut short or changed forever? Just one Trauma ICU might do anywhere from 2 - 20 terminations of life support per month. That doesn't include those that may die in the ED. Many patients are there as the result of speeding, reckless driving or the result of some violent crime. They can be the one initiating the life changing act or the one who gets in their way. Those that don't die may become some of those nursing home "routine BS" calls that so many complain about on the forums.

Warning someone in advance of a speed trap could cause the person who may have an voided DL and or tags to detour through a residental area. Unfortunately, there have been way too many hit and runs in these neighborhoods by speeding vehicles some of which may be avoiding the possiblity of meeting the Police on the highways.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to warn other drivers of speed traps when I was younger and drove faster. Now that I'm older and slower (in more ways than one) I don't feel the need. I do believe that all of us have seen a cop ahead and checked our speedometer to discover we're travelling faster than the posted speed limit. It happens and I don't believe it makes you a menace to travel 10mph over the limit. It will, however, get you a fine and six years of surcharges on your insurance. It also is big business.

Tickets are big business

Interstate speed limit here is 80 mph. And people still warn you. I just think you could be helping the wrong person and cost someone their life.

Wow, where are you from? Here in CT anything above 80 is often an automatic arrest if stopped.

Anyways, I completley agree with you for the most part. But I do agree with another post that they may be slightly zonned out. Do you flash your lights when you drive by someone who has theirs off at night? I do... because sometimes if I make a quick stop I turn them off but leave my parking lights on. If Im in a well lit area I sometimes forget to turn them back on when I leave. But you do have a good point, to each their own as far as people breaking the law (then getting caught) is concerned in my eyes.

Wow, where are you from? Here in CT anything above 80 is often an automatic arrest if stopped.

Anyways, I completley agree with you for the most part. But I do agree with another post that they may be slightly zonned out. Do you flash your lights when you drive by someone who has theirs off at night? I do... because sometimes if I make a quick stop I turn them off but leave my parking lights on. If Im in a well lit area I sometimes forget to turn them back on when I leave. But you do have a good point, to each their own as far as people breaking the law (then getting caught) is concerned in my eyes.

West Texas Interstates 10 and 20 are 80 MPH.

no I don't agree with your premise.

Remember that most kidnappers take their victims to a place known to them. It's not a random thing(some may be though). If the kidnapped person is not found within 24 hours I think the fatality rate is very very high.

I think that the odds of a kidnapper getting caught in a speedtrap is so miniscule that it needs to be taken out of the equation all together.

I agree. However, the only time I flash my lights, I turn them off, then on again to let a semi or large truck know it is safe to merge.

It seems that the traveling speeds on the freeways down here near Los Angeles are aprox 80-85. This is the speed where others don't ride on your butt, getting less than one car length behind you, including law enforcement officers. I've been going with the flow of traffic and been passed by highway patrol officers, no lights, no sirens etc.. who've just waved hi or thanks as they pass by when I've moved over for them.

Oh.. the posted speed limit is 65 on most of these freeways, 55 on some of the highways.

It's really fun to go from 80 to zip in seconds when an accident happens ahead of you at those speeds. :roll:

As far as telling others about a speed trap.. nope. It's possibly more dangerous for me to do so and risk triggering someone's road rage button than to just let them get caught.

Damn straight I'll warn people, and I appreciate it when they warn me. I'll venture a guess that in all my years I have yet to even drive past a kidnapper, much less warn them of a cop ahead. If I want to contribute to revenue enhancment, I'll make a donation to the Policeman's Ball.

PC

So I guess I am the only one that thinks there would be a chance that by warning on coming traffic of a speed trap that you could cost someone their life. That you could be aiding a kidnapper escape capture. Wow.
Eh...yeah?

Such scenarios are so unlikely that if you're thinking about that logic, then there's probably a million other behaviors you should modify that might eventually lead to a life saved once every century.

Though, I guess you could expand it and say the driver could have an arrest warrant out of any number of charges (burglar or something), so that person needs to be stopped, so ten years down the road they don't lead to a death. But then, we'd want PD stopping as many people as possible 24/7 for every and all micro-violations to see if they had a kidnap victim or other warrants....which people in general don't want.

I won't flash lights unless there is a mvc ahead or them. I've been on both sides of the issue. the one you warn might be dui, could have committed a crime that you are not aware of, not neccessarily kidnapping, you just never know. If they want to speed, let them take their chances. my two cents, for what it is worth. :D