Do you warn other motorist that cops are around? Dangerous?

spenac

Do you warn other drivers about cops?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Some times

Do you warn other motorist that cops are around? Dangerous? Could you be harming others?

OK I know here goes spenac on another rant, not again. Well I have a pet peeve. I hate that people use various ways to warn other motorist that cops are ahead on the road. Why? Because if someone is breaking the law they need to live with their choices. Worse though what if someone has kidnapped someone and is speeding down the road. You flash your lights or use hand gesture, whatever is common in your area to warn that cops are ahead. Kidnapper slows down, drives right past cop. Horrible things happen to person that was kidnapped. Family never hears from victim again. Lots of suffering because you decided hey that cop doesn't have the right to enforce the law. Has this happened? Probably but we also probably will never know.

What do you think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have too much free time.

I believe everyone should be responsible for their own actions.

If the cop finds you, then so be it. It is not for me to change destiny.

Because if someone is breaking the law they need to live with their choices.

Have you ever slowed down to the speed limit or below it in response to someone flashing their lights, or if you are speeding and someone flashes their lights do you just continue to speed and live with your choice? :)

I'll agree with not warning motorists about police once the speed limit is set to a reasonable level. When everyone, including the police, are going 15 MPH above the speed limit, then the limit is unreasonable.

I disagree with never warning people that you've seen a cop... some people will zone out while driving and end up going way faster than they intend to. What was that commercial series... the faster you go, the bigger the mess? If I can wake someone up a little bit by flashing my brights and get them to slow down, don't I help reduce the risk that they'll cause a wreck due to their speed?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'll flash my lights to warn of deer or some other kind of hazard, but I don't think I have for a speed trap. If they get caught for speeding, oh well.

some people will zone out while driving and end up going way faster than they intend to.

That's one of the main problems with driving standards though. Too many people daydreaming, not looking where they are going, or at the other extreme, multitasking while barreling down the highway. The days of talking on the cellphone at the wheel seems to have gone out of fashion, in favor of TEXTING at the wheel.

It annoys the hell out of me to see two cars, totally oblivious to each others presence, driving parallel to each other on a two lane parkway, at exactly the same speed, one in the slow lane and one in the "overtaking" lane. I suppose I shouldn't expect anything other than dangerous, and self-absorbed driving practices in a State where the 5 minute road test is the norm.

Bring back the manual transmission, and put the "driver" (as opposed to the "steerer") back behind the wheel.

Moan over. :evil:

As to the original question. No! Sod them, let them get pulled. If you engage the eyes and ears now and again while driving, you can spot the Police vehicles a mile away anyway.

I recall a trooper's saying publicly on this question that motorists who "blow his cover" are actually helping him enforce the law, so he's happy for anything that get drivers to drive more safely, which is the goal of speed limits. Think of it as volunteers appealing to speeders to slow down voluntarily, which also reduces the need to hire LEOs.

If I drive by a speed trap I thank the stars they didn't get me but will I warn the other drivers? nope not a chance.

I'm not a early warning system.

I have many cop friends and I want them to stay employed, plus I love donut so when the cops are employed the donut shops stay busy. It's a win win