Anyone take the NREMT-P recently?

I feel that my school is not really preparing us for it, especially since no one from the day Medic class, and myself, and one other from our night class have expressed interest in it. They DO offer a 350 dollar weekend prep course for it, but I was under the assumption that since our course was being taught to National standards, we would receive the appropiate amount of instruction to take it...

Anyway, during PHTLS, we had an out of county flight medic take it with us, and he asked us during break if any of us were planning on taking it, and some of the info he dropped on us makes it sound damn near impossible.

So who has taken it recently, and can offer insight of what to expect, and what to prep for?

While I dont know what school you are in, if they are teaching to national standards then it should prepare you for the nremt exam. I dont see a need for a $350 additional course.

I actually just did an interview with the Associate Director from NREMT and we talked about the CBT exam and the upcoming accreditation requirements.

On the CBT some points that were made that I think a lot of candidtates miss are

It is a best response exam - meaning that there may be more than one right answer but only one best answer.

It is important to truly read each question carefully since you cannot go back and your answer will dictate what the next question will be.

Another point he mentioned is that so many of us are used to the paper and pencil type test that this CAT type of testing throws us off.

If you havent already, check out the nremt site at http://nremt.org

They have a wealth of info there as well as videos all on the CBT exam.

In addition, if you are interested in listening to the audio interview I did, it is at

http://ems-safety.com/greggm.htm

It's about 40 mins long, but you can also download it to listen offline if you want.

Good luck

I did the test at the end of May of this year. I found it challenging, more for it's "best answer" approach than my knowledge of the material. If you know what you are doing, you will be fine. Good luck.

If you've managed a C average through school you will do fine if you don't over think it.

Answer every question as if you were a basic first, and then use medic info only if absolutly necessary.

I thought the test was idiotic, confusing format, almost no serious knowledge necessary. If I went into the field with only the info needed to pass the test 80% of the acutely critical pts I've seen would have died....Honest to God.

Don't freak out, think like a basic and not a medic, and you will breeze through it...You've got the brains, I've seen you use em here...Worry about getting good grades in school...forget the NR.

Dwayne

I just took it last week and passed. The questions where confusing and I just knew I failed. Honestly that was the 2nd time I took it. THe first time I watched the clock and hurried. John Puryear has a NR review, it's like 90$ and it has a lot of good info. IT's basicly the paramedic course in 2 days. You can also get it on CD and listen to it on your Windoes media player. His site is Nationalregisrtyprep.com I think. I just went to the library and got the study guides and took every test available. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took the NREMT-P cbt test on friday, 7/25/2008. I answered 90 questions in all. KNOW your rule of 9's very well, Lots of questions reguarding Pediatric burns. Know Allergic reactions, Airway. Not a whole lot of MCI questions on my exam, Which i thought was odd. My last question was a GCS question...Kinda a tricky one at that. If i remember right it was somewhat like this. 29 y/o male, withdrawls from pain, pupils PERRL, inapporiate word's. and your choices were 5,6,7,8. They didn't seem to give a whole lot of imformation. All the scenario's i had were very short and to the point. I walked out of the Pearson Vue testing center.....almost knowing i had Failed the exam. I took it at 0930 and i knew my results at 1400. I was very shocked to see. that i had PASSED!!!

Chad NREMT-P

Written Exam Date: 7/25/2008

Written Exam Scored: 7/25/2008 Passed

Written Results Mailed: 7/26/2008

"Written Exam Date" indicates the date that you completed the NREMT written examination.

"Written Exam Scored" indicates the date that your written examination was officially scored. Immediately to the right of the score date are the official results of your written examination. The results will be listed as "Passed" or "Failed". If you question the accuracy of the results, you must submit a written letter outlining your concerns to

Just keep in mind that the areas that some say had very few questions means that person answered the first few questions on that area correctly so the comp decided they knew enough and focused on the areas that they missed questions on. This comp adaptive testing is nice in some ways. For example you happen to guess correctly on all cardiac questions at the beginning even though you had no clue. It presumes that you know cardiac and quits asking those questions. The comp test no longer does an equal % of all types of questions. Heres a discussion and on that page is a video about comp testing. http://www.nremt.org/about/CBT_Home.asp

I'm planning on taking my CBT for NREMT-P in the next few weeks. I was told by my EMS director at my college that he can sign off on my practical exam so I dont have to take it. Anyone ese done it this way or do you have to take the practical portion regardless. thanks a bunch

I was told by my EMS director at my college that he can sign off on my practical exam so I don't have to take it. Anyone else done it this way or do you have to take the practical portion regardless. thanks a bunch
Hmmm, as far as I know, a paramedic candidate for the NR would have to go to a testing site to do the skills portion. Your instructor may be a evaluator, but I think they (NR) prefer to have you test outside the classroom. I had some friends take a paramedic refresher for NR in NC and had to go test in VA somewhere.

I might be completely off base here though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.