3 UMDNJ paramedics fired in KKK hazing incident

NYC-EMS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who thinks that hazing is harmless or that hazing in a KKK suit is harmless then they are someone that I do not want to associate with. Some Hazing like covering the toilet seat with saran wrap is ok but getting into more invasive or dangerous hazing like the KKK incident is just plain messed up.

I've been the victim of hazing before, got a large dose of lasix in my diet soda. Pee'd all day but didn't expect the lasix because I think diet coke tastes like crap anyway so I didn't even think it was altered, electrolyte imbalance(very very bad levels) and ended up in the ER and then the hospital. this happened when I first became a EMT. So you can see where I have a objection to hazing.

2nd hazing incident, not my injury but had a paramedic who was spraying d-50 from the syringe at a new emt. the emt ran away, slipped on some grease in the garage and went down, separating his shoulder and needing 8 weeks off work.

some hazing is ok as long as it's not dangerous nor offensive but it is really up to the hazee to determine if it's dangerous or offensive..

We had a practical joker in our midst. He'd done a few real doozies, but nothing like hazing. He never demeaned anyone or put them in an embarrassing, unprofessional situation.

It's right to say hazing has no place in EMS or the Fire Service. If someone thinks they are being "funny" or just "outrageous" or doing something for kicks & giggles, they need to grow up. Besides, there are 20,000 comedians out of work, so don't try and take their gig.

In my Haste I was not clear, NO I Don't think its a joke, I have never taken part in anything like this nor will I ever. Tell everyone working EMS that was just put in harms way, that it was a joke just harmless hazing, and see what their reaction is. EMS has gotten enough black eyes, I hope these individuals cant find a job in EMS, we don't need or want this type of behavior associated with us!

I want to apologize to all the University employees i offended. I work at other projects with University paramedics and they are the most professional paramedics i have ever encountered. I never meant to offend or generalize, but this story sparked some anger in me and i wrote to hastily after watching the report.

I have never applied to the U nor do i plan to, i already work in a busy urban project and have no desire to work another one.

I want to apologize to all the University employees i offended. I work at other projects with University paramedics and they are the most professional paramedics i have ever encountered. I never meant to offend or generalize, but this story sparked some anger in me and i wrote to hastily after watching the report.

I have never applied to the U nor do i plan to, i already work in a busy urban project and have no desire to work another one.

If you are being serious, apology accepted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.