"Routine Transfer"

I'd like to know what kind of workup was done at the transferring hospital. Jaundice is not typical of bowel obstruction, so was something missed? I'd also like to ask for an Australia to American medication translation dictionary (yeah, too lazy to Google).

pethidine =Demerol Maxalon= Reglan there you dont have to google....Lazy MD's good thing you have nurses to help you out eh? :twisted:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will wait for some more questions first, especially suggestions on treatment. Was hoping there would be more replies :?

Thanks to you guys who are playing along 8)

Will wait for some more questions first, especially suggestions on treatment. Was hoping there would be more replies :?

Thanks to you guys who are playing along 8)

can you answer these for me bushy?

What color is her stool? Hx of any liver problems? How much Paracetamol is she taking, has she been taking an excessive amount for her pain? ( Paracetamol is liver toxic in large quanities.)

Stool was normal, dark brown and not too soft, as were all stools for the week

Nil Hx of liver problems

Paracetamol for 2 weeks at 4 hourly intervals

Paracetamol was started because of abdo pain (we didn't know this at the time, found it in the med charts later)

Nil gastric reflux

Nil passing gas

Diet is normal nursing home/hospital fare

Pt has had plenty to drink - approx 2 litres today with nil output

Unknown cause of UTI

pethidine =Demerol Maxalon= Reglan there you dont have to google....Lazy MD's good thing you have nurses to help you out eh? :twisted:

:)/

Was any imaging done? I'd like to think they can at least do an abd film. I'm guessing CT is asking too much. A BM this morning does not r/o obstruction. The stool after the obstruction will still come out. Was any blood work done?

Where is patient being transferred and for what?

I just started working for a primarily transfer based company so this is interesting to me as a total newbie :lol:

:lol:/

Was any imaging done? I'd like to think they can at least do an abd film. I'm guessing CT is asking too much. A BM this morning does not r/o obstruction. The stool after the obstruction will still come out. Was any blood work done?

No blood and no imaging doc, imaging would have been really handy...

Where is patient being transferred and for what?

I just started working for a primarily transfer based company so this is interesting to me as a total newbie :lol:

Transfer was for treatment/assessment for a bowel obstruction.

I was told by an old experienced for 30 years supervisor "no transfer is routine"

I would say there is no such thing as a "Routine" call, either for EMS, Fire, or PD, as there are always going to be variables that can change the direction of a call, implementing themselves into that call, with no warning. You'll never see it coming.

:D/

That's why I said may rule it out.

Did she seem to have at least some temporary relief after BM? Any excessive thirst lately?