LODD West Hill FD, Big Flats NY

Its been a long time since we have had a LODD in this area. The name still hasnt been released, but the EMS and fire community here knew him well and he was a friend to all of us. I cant get the link to be clickable, copy and paste if you would like to read the article.

http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

My condolences and prayers go out to the family and the department.

Was he fully loaded going down hill? I've driven tankers that was "pushed" along while going down hills. Luckily I was able to control my speed and my driving. You can never be too careful or too slow for those large tankers.

They were coming down the hill and Ryan missed a gear and lost control. They had just filled the tank, which hold 1000 gallons of water. You can see in the picture the skid marks of the dual tires, turning to the left, when he locked the brakes up. The truck rolled at least once, and Ryan was ejected through the drivers window. The tank came loose and landed on top of him. They had to lift it off of him. Its unclear when the tank came loose, either when it rolled or when it hit the tree, which was snapped off. The tree was about the diameter of a 50 gallon drum.

Ryan was 25 years old and he leaves behind a wife of less than a month and a 1 year old daughter.

hate to hear it - we lost one not too long ago. Unfortunately there are too many of us getting hurt of killed these days. Prayers for his family and coworkers. Be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.