WHY EMS?

Why did you get into EMS?  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• Helping people
    • Adrenalin fix
    • The great pay and wonderful hours
    • Meeting exciting and interesting people (psych pts, drunks, etc)
    • I couldn't pass the background check to be a cop or the physical to be a firefighter
    • The fire department (or funeral home) made me
    • Stepping stone to another medical field/job while in college
    • There's a long history of mental illness in my family (i.e. I'm crazy)
    • Other (please explain)

I always had an interest in the medical field and thought about pursuing ems in college until the U decided that emt's couldn't just get up and leave class anymore. I moved to a small town and heard that they were looking to increase their roster. I love to learn, I like people and helping them when I can and I really believe in EMS. So here I am, now an emt basic iv tech and I love it! B)

I got into ems by way of volunteer firefighting. I have been a firefighter for ten years and was fascinated by what you guys were doing in the back of the truck. I went on many a call where I was doing chest compressions or ventilating, and I couldn't believe that these guys were actually practing medicine. :shock:

I have to say that I was much like Richard in the beginning when I first got into the EMT class, I was an adrenaline junkie (I still am in some aspects), but then once I got into the class, I began to become extremely fascinated by the medical aspects of it, as well as the people factor. After have been a part of this community, you cant just ride the adrenaline wave alone and survive EMS, you have to really be into it or go home and play with the puppies.

Ive always loved a challenge I definitely believe EMS is a good place to find a good challenge, it tests you physically, mentally, and emotionally.

And after seeing that young girl die in a tragic pedestrian v. vehicle accident I was even more compelled to join the EMS forces no matter what the cost.

Thats my explanation Steve. What about yours?? Why did you get into EMS?? (Not a threat, just curious more than anything.)

-Alcomedicism

I have always wanted a career where I could help people. Initially, I was headed in the Social Worker direction but found that it wasn't for me. When all is said and done I would like to be a nurse. EMS is a way for me to get some clinical experience before making the jump. I have spoken with quite a number of nurses who worked in EMS prior to nursing and all seem to agree that working as an EMT or medic has made them better nurses.

Also, I never thought in a million years that I could work in this field so I got into it to prove to myself that could and to continually challenge myself. Plus I get a warm fuzzy feeling from that 1 patient out of 100 that I have actually helped and made a difference, now matter how large or small in their lives.

Hello all! New here.

I got into EMS almost by accident (Long story) however I can say that it is the best decision I have ever made. I have never enjoyed anything so much as I do going to work every day.

EMTNerd - I hope that is the exact case, as I will be applying to Nursing school next year. I have also been very interested in the local VFD. Paramedic school will take place during my long wait for nursing school (currently the list is at 3 years!) And I plan to hold all certifications as a nurse, and am very interested in CCT.

I put long history of family psycosis... (sp?) i am 3rd generation fire/ems. great grandfather was a fire fighter, my father was a MFF/NREMT-P (w/ all the vowels and all the speciatly training for the fire dept) and now me... EMT - B, hopefully FF once i get ito the class if my department can get the paperwork done right.... (sorry sore subject i was supposed to be in the fire school that started tonight... but didn't get in cause of paperwork issues)...

alright done w/ that little rant...

I've mentioned that a friend TOLD me, "WE" were going to join a neighborhood VAC that was forming up at that time, and how a year and a half later, he left the VAC.

Add to that, a professor of mine at Long Island University, Brooklyn Center, died, a half mile from an ER, with a delay of over a half hour response, and in an unrelated incident, the friend saw a car crash with injuries, that an engine company heard the rollover, responded to it, but the ambulance, from a station a mile away with no traffic lights enroute to the scene, took an hour, both within NYC, and both in 1973.

I also thought it would get me women. It did, one, anyway. My longtime lady companion who I met as another volunteer in the VAC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.