26 Y/O W F C/C Overdose

Dispatched as a first responder to a 26 y/o w Female , Boyfriend says she overdosed on some pills, you don't know the exact pill at this moment. When you get to the scene the patient is sitting upright in a chair on the front porch. When you start asking her questions she seems alert x3. Answering all questions total alert. Says she don't need hospital.. but you take her vitals anyways. She seems fine when she goes unresponsive and weary, you do a sternum rub and she responds to pain.. you grab the cot and load her up where paramedics start IV's.. She goes totaly under.. but still responds to pain.. She comes together when you say you need to start to tube her..

What is the situation..

Drama queen wants something from her boyfriend, he said no she wants to make him feel guilty. Try a hand drop over the face. If her hand breaks her nose she's not faking. If her hand keeps missing her nose she's faking.

While Spenac's method will work, I prefer something a little less damaging. Try inserting an NPA. That seems to rouse all but the most determined fakers.

BTW, whatever you do, don't just assume she's faking....treat her as a legit patient and let the hospital deal with her. The one day you are convinced you have a faker on your hands is the day you're working the code you were totally unprepared for. Seen it too many times.

While Spenac's method will work, I prefer something a little less damaging. Try inserting an NPA. That seems to rouse all but the most determined fakers.

Wheres the fun in that? :twisted:

I have found that a ammonia capsule in a NRB works. I mean I heard it somewhere, yeah, that's it. :)

Yeah, we still have to treat the patient accordingly. As Jsadin mentioned, we cannot just assume the pt. is faking.

:) spenac..

seriously tho.. there are disassociative disorders that give the appearance of faking when in fact the patient is not capable of responding - for example, eyelids will flicker, reflexive responsives will be atypical yet the patient cannot open eyes or respond to questions. Often, they will be unresponsive to pain - the patient feels it but has disassociated from it to the extent that they would NOT be able to protect their nose. It behooves us to remember that just because we don't understand it doesn't mean its not real.