Hiring practices of fire/ems departments

The tactic of not hiring firefighters and then sending them to an academy or school on the department's dime. I dont see why they should be any different from EMS, I had to pay for mine, they can pay for theirs.

I completely agree with that, and always have. You want to be a medic? Show me some commitment. If you can't make it happen without my help, then you don't really want it that bad after all.

But don't like through your teeth like this a-hole chief, telling people you will train them, and then renege on the deal after the fact.

The tactic of not hiring firefighters and then sending them to an academy or school on the department's dime. I dont see why they should be any different from EMS, I had to pay for mine, they can pay for theirs.
Very true here in Southern Cali most small FD's require that you put your self through a collaged base fire academy, except for the big city departments such as LA City, Long Beach LA County, San Diego, and OCFA. So most fire applicants are putting there self through medic school and fire academies and classes. There's no false ads here, cert requirements are on the job flyer and there is usually no exceptions.

So what should I do? This chief is the first to require it. As they don't have any paramedics i figured he would love a full time one. But no. He wants me to pay to get fire....uhh noooooo I don't do fire I do ems. They are running ads in the paper like crazy to get people on because people have quit due to that. They won't pay for current employees to get there fire stuff. I am just not going to support the practices. I will go somewhere else that will accept me as ems only. Thanks Spenac. Stay safe out there.

Suck it up dude. If this what you want to get into, then deal with the your local hiring process and keep your mouth shut doing it. I'm in the middle of paying fees and fees to get paperwork together and pass a physical fitness test and do I want to do it? NO but thats where I want to work so I will go out and get those certs they want.

If you start complaining now, man you are not doing yourself a favor.

Adam,

What you are saying is a valid point. However the City of Waukee is currently full and the only applications they are taking is ones with both fire and EMS certifications. Should you complain to the city? How dare you! We are entitled to ask for any minimum requirements we want. You currently don't even have your EMT-Basic. There are people line up with certifications we want wanting employment who cant be offered a job simply because we are full. I am sorry you have not had an opportunity to gain employment but you just don't meet the requirements we desire at this time. Its truly unfortunate that a simple google search turned up your post here on this board. I wish you well in your search.

Does anyone out there take this post seriously? Why would anyone tip their hand like this? Sorry I call BS. But I call BS to the OP and his follow up posts as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Every employer can set the standard for the job to be filled. If that department wants you to have your firefighter certificate, then that is what you need to apply. Again it is a FIRE DEPARTMENT, which part of fire do you not understand. IF you want to be JUST AN EMT, then go work for a private or other type of AMBULANCE SERVICE. I'm sure there are some of those around your area, especially be next to the capital city. This world is getting so bad that every little snot-nosed brat in this world sues someone every time they are told NO. If it would been like this 233-300 years ago we would still be in Europe under some monarchy or dictator. Besides there are fire departments out there that will put you through the training you will need. Whether it be fire or EMS. Of those, some require you obtain those certifications within a certain amount of time, otherwise you LOSE YOUR JOB. Maybe you should try one of the above options. For future reference, if you have a problem with someone or with the policy they have in place maybe, just maybe you should sit down with that person and find out what other options are for you. Don't just fly off the handle and think because you complain you will automatically get what you want, you have a mom or dad for that. But I'm sure they are tired of listening to you beotch when things don't go your way. Those events in your life are called learning events learn from them and MOVE ON!!!!!!

Ok I am wondering why this topic even came back to life in the first place. I posted this way back in July and then walked away from it after realizing that even though I might disagree with there policies they still have the right to choose whom they hire. I was ranting at the time but now am just wondering why this topic came back to life. They are going to do it there way and that is the only way. So please can we all just let this topic die thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.