New EMT-City Contest

The reasons why the emails were accepted is because they were formatted in word, office 2007 format, ms works format and also mac formats.

If you wish to email the submissions which is acceptable now that I've let others do it, mail to

michael.ruff@maxithc.com

I will post all submissions on the contest thread next tuesday. The winner will be announce Tuesday morning.

Please don't use mac format because it's so damn hard to convert to MS formats.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mac it is. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Good deal, but don't think my 2 week school has much chance based on the glowing review of the private submission. :oops:

Thank you again Ruff. Hope many are trying to make the perfect school.

Ok, new subcategory for this contest.

Shortest medic class. submit the bare minimum for a medic class that you think would be appropriate for a cookbook medic.

2 week courses apply here. So if you think that a medic can take care of patients with only 1-3 hours of cardiology and 1 hour of resp, then go for it. but if you do take this angle you must JUSTIFY why you think that your program can produce a good medic.

This might be a great angle for you to take Spenac.

Ok, new subcategory for this contest.

Shortest medic class. submit the bare minimum for a medic class that you think would be appropriate for a cookbook medic.

2 week courses apply here. So if you think that a medic can take care of patients with only 1-3 hours of cardiology and 1 hour of resp, then go for it. but if you do take this angle you must JUSTIFY why you think that your program can produce a good medic.

This might be a great angle for you to take Spenac.

Justify hmmm does lazy count?

no you arent' justifying why the course makes you personally a good medic. I want justification from you as the course admininstrator and course developer why this course is a valid alternative to the conventional educational wisdom. If you can tell me that your students make better medics from such a short course then you will win a prize. It has to be believable though, I know you Spenac, I can see you giving me an off the wall answer that would be absurd but you would be able to pull it off.

The judge with lower standards is ME ha ha ha

As of 7:40 this morning I have received one of the best submissions that I've ever seen. I will not tell who it is but suffice it to say, It is excellent.

There are at least 8 other submissions which are quite good also.

I have also decided to pull out the stops and there will be a 1st prize, 2nd prize and a 3rd prize.

I will not unveil the prizes until this coming monday which is the final day for submissions so you all have the weekend to work on this. I believe the prize totals will be around 100-150 bucks. So get your submissions in.

Thank you Ruff for your continued efforts to help us improve.

For those that want to submit an entry do we post it here, email you, pm you?

you post it here.

If you don't want your entry pillaged then I recommend you submit it on the final day of the contest.

Contest ends 2 weeks from today.

Since you've recieved "received one of the best submissions that I've ever seen."; and it's not visible to the rest of the contestants, it seems that some people either don't know how to follow directions...or aren't required to. You clearly stated that the submissions had to be posted to the thread, not PM'ed, emailed or any other form of transmission.

Since there were only two people that seemed to have followed your rules so far, I believe those that didn't should be disqualified , regardless of how 'good' their submission was!

sorry to disappoint, but they will be accepted.

Too much effort went into them. Besides some of the documents were done in formats that would not format well on the forums. If they looked like crap and they didn't flow well then they would not have been given the scrutiny that would be the right thing to do.

So if you want to send me your submissions via email that's fine.

Send them to michael.ruff@maxithc.com

If you wish to not submit because I've changed the rules then that's fine too. But Lone, I know you have some good ideas, we've talked about them in person.

Besides, who's to say that the winning submission is not one that was posted here?

And finally, I should have posted in the original post that I had the right to change the rules in midstream.

It's your choice, post them here or email them or don't participate.

I dont' really see the issue. Plus I don't see anyone else here doing something like this. This is a valid and good learning experience. My previous contest on spec'ing out an ambulance was another very good learning experience but too many people bitched and moaned about it, so I cancelled it.

But the bottom line on this contest is, if you think that by my changing the rules so that those who obviously put in several hours putting their submissions together is unfair then by all means don't enter.

Ruffles,

I've already entered, and I'm not going to withdraw at this point...

I spent several hours going over the course offerings and trying to satisfy not only english prerequisites, but math and science as well.

Granted, I've recieved a couple comments about 'low-balling' the price of the course....but I think that with the class load that I've put together, would make a good medic as long as it wasn't taught in the format of simple regurgitation of fact on demand.... a good medic needs to be able to not only determine the best treatments for the patient, but must also be able to figure out what each treatment will accomplish and justify WHY that treatment was chosen....as well as to be able to react when the desired results aren't achieved.

Be safe,

LS

Hello all. I wanted to let you all know that I was one of the people that contacted Ruffems about sending files via email. The format of the word files is altered upon transition from the original format to the format on this forum. I wanted somebody to see the original format of the files. I never intended to break the original rules. In addition, I have contacted Ruffems by PM and let him know I will post the curriculum I developed in plain text on this forum.

It consists of different files, so I will use a post a file in an attempt to keep the flow somewhat organized. The original concept was a student looking through the paramedic curriculum in a college course catalog. The first file is the actual curriculum developed around a three year course of study. I understand, a three year AAS degree; however, I feel the additional year would help to round out the paramedics base of knowledge. The second file is an explanation of the terminology used in the curriculum. The third file explains each course and course objectives in detail as they would be found in a course catalog. The fourth file is an approximate hourly breakdown of the core paramedic hourly curriculum. This does not include any other course work and additional requirements however.

The cost of such a course would vary according to location and type of college. I paid around $70.00-$75.00 a credit hour. so, we could use that as a general reference. (For the nineties I know. :lol: )

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Take care,

chbare.

College of Health Sciences: Sample Curriculum for AAS Paramedic

Health Sciences Core Courses Semester: Spring 2009

*Problem Oriented Mathematics 100- 2 credits

English Composition 100- 3 credits

**Human Anatomy and Physiology 100-4 credits

**Human Anatomy and Physiology 100 Lab- 2 credits

Fundamentals of Psychology 100- 3 credits

Fundamentals of US and state Government- 3 credits

Health Sciences Core Courses Semester: Fall 2009

English Literature and writing technique 110- 3 credits

Human Anatomy and Physiology 110 – 4 credits

Human Anatomy and Physiology Lab 110- 2 credits

***Fundamentals of Molecular and Microbiology 110 – 3 credits

***Fundamentals of Molecular and Microbiology Lab 110 – 2 credits

***Fundamentals of Pharmacology 110– 3 credits

Paramedic Core Courses Semester: Spring 2010

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care 100 – 6 credits

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care Lab 100 – 4 credits

Paramedic Care Practicum 100 – 6 credits

Paramedic Core Courses Semester: Fall 2010

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care 110 – 6 credits

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care Lab 110 – 4 credits

Paramedic Care Practicum 110 – 6 credits

Paramedic Core Courses: Spring 2011

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care 120- 6 credits

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care Lab 120 – 4 credits

Paramedic Care Practicum 120 – 6 credits

Paramedic Core Courses: Fall 2011

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care 130- 6 credits

Fundamentals of Paramedic Care Lab 130 – 4 credits

Paramedic Care Practicum 130 – 6 credits

Notes: Some courses have requirements or prerequisite courses

*This course requires a score of at least a level 3 on the mathematics section of the college entrance exam, otherwise the student must have a passing score in Introductory Algebra 100. (Passing score is defined as a minimum of 80%)

**This course requires a score of at least a level 3 on the biological science section of the college entrance exam, otherwise the student must have a passing score in Biology 100 and Biology 100 Lab.

***These Courses require a passing score in Human Anatomy and Physiology 100.

Please note: Higher level courses will require a lower level prerequisite. For example, a 110 level course will require a 100 level counterpart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.