New EMT-City Contest

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chem 112 or O-Chem

Biology 114 (both are pretty basic courses)

A&P 1,2,3

Inro to EMS

Comm' and Transport for EMS

Crisis Intervention

EMS Rescue

Algebra

Speech 111

Medical Terminology

WR 121 (English Comp)

Concept of Computing (this is how to use a computer, create spreadsheets, etc)

Health 275 (health fundamentals and healthy living)

Paramedic 1,2,3

P-Clinicals 1,2,3

P-Internship 1,2

4 Human Relation/social science electives

Pharmacology

(EMT-B is a prerequisite...another 180 hours of class time)

Edit: Pffft...following directions isn't fun.

Total credit hours=114

Total clinical hours=don't honestly remember...a guess would be somewhere in the 350-500 range.

Total internship hours=variable. State minimum is 200 (embarrassing I know) average for most classes, depending on the school, is probably about 600.

Total cost=I prefer not to think about that. Let's just say it wasn't all that cheap.

Chem 112 or O-Chem

Biology 114 (both are pretty basic courses)

A&P 1,2,3

Inro to EMS

Comm' and Transport for EMS

Crisis Intervention

EMS Rescue

Algebra

Speech 111

Medical Terminology

WR 121 (English Comp)

Concept of Computing (this is how to use a computer, create spreadsheets, etc)

Health 275 (health fundamentals and healthy living)

Paramedic 1,2,3

P-Clinicals 1,2,3

P-Internship 1,2

4 Human Relation/social science electives

Pharmacology

I would suggest including a price.

I don't mean to bash the contest or the entries, but is this just about listing out courses that sound good with prices that are low? Most people know what is in organic chem or an intro to stats course, but for the EMS related courses since there is no real standard it could be open to much interpretation. In terms of the pricing of the courses, it is great to be able to say a low price, but is it realistic? Just my thoughts that may help get others thinking as they work on their entries...

I don't mean to bash the contest or the entries, but is this just about listing out courses that sound good with prices that are low? Most people know what is in organic chem or an intro to stats course, but for the EMS related courses since there is no real standard it could be open to much interpretation. In terms of the pricing of the courses, it is great to be able to say a low price, but is it realistic? Just my thoughts that may help get others thinking as they work on their entries...

Good point. With the exception of the pharmacology class, that was what I took to get my Associates. To explain the classes better:

Intro to EMS-history of same, expectations, current trends, possible future trends, duties, roles, and the like.

EMS Rescue-basic rescue class, had some hands on, but mostly was to get everyone familiar with what would be going on during an extrication, technical rescue, collapse and so forth, not to train them to participate. A lot focused on scene safety, which was great.

Comm' and Transport-not much about transporting, just how to write professional, accurate charts.

The rest should be pretty self-explanatory. That what you wanted?

ok, what I was trying to get at since we all complain about the state of education in EMS wsa the ideal paramedic program. Not just one taken from a university or community college but one that if you were in charge what would you have it be.

For those of you who just cut and paste a program from the web, you are not going to win. For those of you who decide to put more effort in to this than just going out to a college website you will be in the running for the prize.

Don't do the easy way by cutting or pasting, do it right by saying to yourself "If I was in charge of the national education system for paramedics, what would I want to see in a class" and then answer the questions you came up with.

This is meant to make you think, not to make you an automaton.

Trust me, I know who will have cut and pasted and who did not. Who did the minimum and who did the extra effort.

Just for your information, my co-judge will be Dustdevil if I can get him to sit still long enough to review the entries. you know his standards.

Here it is 2 weeks. Just give me $10000 and I will send you a piece of paper that says Paramedic. Sorry such a long course but need to allow time for your check to clear and the mail to get you your paper.

disclaimer this is not approved for NR or any state. Nor is this my official entry you will have to wait till closer to pay day for that.

Just for your information, my co-judge will be Dustdevil if I can get him to sit still long enough to review the entries. you know his standards.

Can there also be a judge with lower standards, just to keep the minority happy? :lol:

The judge with lower standards is ME ha ha ha

As of 7:40 this morning I have received one of the best submissions that I've ever seen. I will not tell who it is but suffice it to say, It is excellent.

There are at least 8 other submissions which are quite good also.

I have also decided to pull out the stops and there will be a 1st prize, 2nd prize and a 3rd prize.

I will not unveil the prizes until this coming monday which is the final day for submissions so you all have the weekend to work on this. I believe the prize totals will be around 100-150 bucks. So get your submissions in.

The judge with lower standards is ME ha ha ha

As of 7:40 this morning I have received one of the best submissions that I've ever seen. I will not tell who it is but suffice it to say, It is excellent.

There are at least 8 other submissions which are quite good also.

I have also decided to pull out the stops and there will be a 1st prize, 2nd prize and a 3rd prize.

I will not unveil the prizes until this coming monday which is the final day for submissions so you all have the weekend to work on this. I believe the prize totals will be around 100-150 bucks. So get your submissions in.

I thought we were to post here not email or PM. Did that change? Thanks for the added prizes. If I submit 3 times can I win all 3 prizes? :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.