advice on where to go...

awolif9

hey thanks to any advice in advance...

im about to get emt-p certification (aslong as everthing goes as planned within the next 2 months), and am pondering where i should work. i was looking at nyc cus i assumed the caseload will be full and exciting. However i thought it would be a good idea to get some ideas from you guys... i want a place where i could get lots of tubes, ivs, good cases, most of all REAL experience. I definately do not want to be one of those medics who gets lazy and forgets everything they learned. any advice/ideas? :?:

If you want to be on welfare, food stamps, and other forms of public assistance, FDNY*EMS is for you.. Pay sucks, working conditions sucks, FDNY sucks, since the HOSTILE TAKEOVER (aka "MERGER" most of your co-workers are interested in ONE thing, being a rubber dummy, and taking the so called "Promotional EXAM from Paramedic to firefighter. There are tons of jobs that:

A: pay better,

B: have a better retirement

C: have a quality EMS system

A little hint: Most are NOT run by Fire Departments.

FDNY starting pay for EMT $28,000 EMT-P $36,000.....

So you are basically living at the poverty level, and making les than a Garbage man ... Do not believe me ? check out this site...

http://www.members.aol.com/fdnyemswebsite/index.html

i know that there is a shortage in philadelphia, pa. there are private 911 and also 911 that is run by the fire dept. the one for the fire dept. i think you have to take a month course for them and then you are go to go. but i think you start around 40 or 50,000 i am not 100% sure on this info. this is just what i hear. good luck.

East coast also has a very high cost of living which sucks......I know.....I lived in NJ! You can get the same decent calls and high call volume in other areas that have a much lower cost of living. For example. I work in Tulsa, OK where the call volume is high and we get some pretty decent ones. Of course, as in any place, we get the not so exciting ones......but that happens anywhere you go. Is EMSA the best EMS to work for? I don't know......but so far I like it. They have bonuses and just raised their pay. The cost of living out here is extremely low which is great and EMSA is up there as far as ranked EMS services.

Hope that helps :D

West Texas is the place to be. Good pay especially for the cost of living. Now most services are slower but because of many miles of open country you often work long periods of time on just one call. Also some of the services including my part time have extreme protocols, basically if you think you can do it, then do it. Paramedics where I work full time get $18 plus overtime. Working just 8 24 hour shifts every 28 days comes out around $36000 year plus great benefits. Leaves plenty of time for another job. There are other services paying paramedics even more, one is now $25 hour but it is a transfer service.