Baby Delivery So Easy an EMT Can Do It

spenac

Tiedyedbeth:

As some know, the US Coast Guard is the combined Revenue Enforcement and Lifeboat services. While they have fewer vessels than the US Navy, and some called them the "Bathtub Navy", those landing craft that brought ashore most of the American troops at the Normandy Beach "D" Day invasion were piloted by Coasties.

I have a favorite video, which I temporarily cannot locate, showing a "self-bailer" getting rolled over and righting itself, in heavy surf at the Petaluma "A" school. It was a good show of what the boats can take, but I understand the student pilot failed the class BECAUSE he allowed the boat to be rolled.

I repeat myself from a string discussing "The Guardian", that if a student and instructor got into such competition with each other at a training facility, one or both would end up reassigned!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, the history of the CG is pretty fascinating to me. I did a long article on it for a military spouse magazine back before 9/11 and the CG being transferred to DHS.

My husband (who is Heavy-Surf qualified, one step below the ultimate Surfman quals) says yes, they'd fail the course if they go beyond a 50 or 70degree pitch depending on conditions and circumstance.

Here's a good clip that show a couple knock-downs, DH gets a kick out them saying (imagine with a slap on the hand) "Bad Coxswain! Bad!" (coxswain is pronounced cox-un or cox'n similar to boatswain being bo-sun or bos'n)

http://www.quarters-one.com/lipsFTCG.html This one is "Feel the CG" There's some other good ones on CGClips.com. Look under "Other Clips" KHET-11 is one of our favorites, and B3 if it's up has my husband's old cutter, The Diligence, in it.

OK, that video shows the clip I mentioned, only the boat got put on it's side, not completely rolled over, as I had originally thought. It also shows a vessel similar to either retired harbor cutters Point Huron and Cape Strait (spelling?), which used to be at the former US Coast Guard Station - Rockaway, New York. I think I recall one being a 95 footer, the other an 87 footer.

For those who like factoids, the smaller USCG boats have a 5 digit number on the hull, of which the first 2 indicate it's length.

Pity they only had the one still shot of USCGC Eagle! I have visited her at the South Street Seaport Museum in lower Manhattan, NY, on previous visits. Not bad for a former German Navy sail powered war ship. I also used to have a 2 foot long plastic model of her, that my brother had built!

For anyone wondering what the heck I am talking about, follow the link!

http://www.hnsa.org/ships/eagle.htm

They do roll, but it's barely shown - you see the knockdown first and it cuts away as they end up rolling.

I love the Eagle. I tried to get assigned there, but didn't get it - or either of the Polars (Polar Sea, and Polar Star - they get to go to Antarctica which I thought would be really cool to do). I ended up here in NC. Oh well LOL.

I can look up which cutters were shown if you'd like.

child birth is a BLS skill in PA....

Dude. It's covered in every EMT course everywhere. :roll:

Nevermind the fact that women have been, and continue to in many parts of the world, deliver babies with no medical intervention whatsoever, and have dome so for thousands of years.

Dude. It's covered in every EMT course everywhere. :roll:

Nevermind the fact that women have been, and continue to in many parts of the world, deliver babies with no medical intervention whatsoever, and have dome so for thousands of years.

As such it should not be news worthy. Also because so widely known there is no reason for this guy not to have been nervous. In news and on TV shows 7 months along is still known as high risk.

the only reason this delivery was newsworthy was the fact that it happened on a airplane at 37K feet.

nothing else newsworthy about the delivery, oh wait, we are making it newsworthy by discussing this here. Maybe ABC or CBS will pick up on our discussion here and give us interviews.

My quote "I was not nervous at all, I was able to post on this forum and not break a sweat.!"

:o

the only reason this delivery was newsworthy was the fact that it happened on a airplane at 37K feet.

nothing else newsworthy about the delivery, oh wait, we are making it newsworthy by discussing this here. Maybe ABC or CBS will pick up on our discussion here and give us interviews.

My quote "I was not nervous at all, I was able to post on this forum and not break a sweat.!"

In all honesty I was sweating bullets debating a losing battle with Ruff. Darn these cardiovascular forums workouts. :oops: :D:lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.