Pine Level fire chief found dead-NC

my condolences to his family but I have a question

What constitutes a line of duty death here?

Obviously this really isn't a LODD because it didn't happen on duty.

If someone dies on shift while they are sleeping is that a LODD?

My interpretation of a line of duty death is a fireman or paramedic or LEO who is killed while carrying out their duties.

Someone care to clarify it for me?

Chestnut said results from an autopsy were pending but that state officials are investigating to see whether Crocker's death would qualify as having been "in the line of duty" -- that is within 24 hours of responding to a fire or some other incident.

Basically, if you go to a fire at noon on Monday, go home, and wake up dead on Tuesday morning, it's a LODD under the theory that the death may not have happened if it weren't for the stress on the body caused by the incident. I believe that standard is federal, and would qualify for benefits under the PSOB.

According to the "guidelines" in an LODD pamphlet from the NFPA; if one dies no more than 24 hours after responding to an incident; from an illness or injury that may have resulted from actions on said emergency; it's a Line of Duty Death. Now if they wreck a car on the way to buy milk, after returning home; no that's not the same. But if it's from an injury received during the incident; or a death that is medical in nature with in 24 hours. Or.. If you are hospitalized as a result of an injury or illness during and as a result of the incident; and die a week later in the ICU, etc.. That would also be an LODD; because it's a death that resulted from the incident.

One of our former members, living in New York; was a Vol fire chief; and he died of a heart attack at home; with in something like 10 hours of a large scale structural fire. That was treated as a Line of Duty Death.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.