British Columbia L&S in POV's

First of all, I am a Federal Officer, and know of no Federal Law regarding lights and sirens.

Most sirens laws are governed by the state law which says, that County, City, State and Federal LE, EMS, Police agenices may have them lights and sirens, and how and when they can use them.

I will however echo what everyone else said. Where I come from there are several private, commercial, public, and even Volunteer ambulance squads that because of insurance will not let ANYONE, under 21, some under 25 drive...

So, let me get this straight, you are 18 and you want a siren in your POV.

Having been 18 once, and thinking (but now knowing better) that I KNEW EVERYTHING, I'll say this ..... BAD BAD Idea.

18 y/o's barely know have to drive without the distraction of a siren.. I know this casue I'm a cop and I ticket them all the time for 20,30 even 40 over posted.. So, now throw in a siren, some flashing lights, that distrtact, maybe a radio,,,,,, reciepe for disaster..

Spend your money on something worth while like Paramedic school, college, getting laid,,,, anything but L & S....

Ohh, and on Long Island we used to say,,, The bigger the light, the bigger the A$$*H%#....

Stay Safe,,,,

Could this be a lame attempt at providing a thoughtful first post. I see the original poster has not been back to answer these questions.

Golly jeepers batman, only two more posts and the OP can go to chat.

Could this be a lame attempt at providing a thoughtful first post. I see the original poster has not been back to answer these questions.

Golly jeepers batman, only two more posts and the OP can go to chat.

He posts quite a bit on EMTlife but as BEorP mentioned, on that forum there is a large audience of 18 y/os who share the same enthusiasm for L/S and gadgets. Some of his posts are very good but he just has to get some priorities in order.

First of all, I am a Federal Officer, and know of no Federal Law regarding lights and sirens.

Ok first of all I am not a federal officer I am a PSO (huh?) read on ..... this "OP" if one takes note is not from the US of A! Just saying, that it sometimes I am get a bit irritated that folks will comment on issues that they have really no understanding beyond their own borders ... as many times I want to say please remove head from colon, but I am far too polite.

So if this poster is a BCAS licenced Practitioner at the minimum PCP level, (sure don't think so because of the nature of the query and he would have access to the same info that northernmedic has access)

Now: PAC 'Paramedics of Canada' lobbied government a few years back and under Kanukistanian federal guidelines a "Paramedic" is now recognised as a PSO = Public Safety Officer .... as are Police and FF allowing all 3 entities to react to "Protect the Public Safety" (there still remains some fuzzyness around the title at the PCP level.)

I can tell you that in BC one can transport a patient under WCB regulations in an approved MTC on paved highway, in Alberta one cannot "legally"unless directed to "meet" with an approved Alberta Health Ambulance but even then one takes a very huge liability risk in doing so, it does get somewhat sticky and complex with insurance.

IMHO and Best Advice:

"guided by the best interests of the patient"

BC is not as clear in regards due to the mingling of different legislation and acts, HSA and WCB in either case anything using more that 4 ways flashing and your just asking for huge trouble with a patient on board an MTC, northernmedic please correct me if I am wrong but is not BCAS is currently "looking into" the "Code 3" transport by MTC?

Ok back to the topic the use of a Lights, primarily RED rotating beacons are restricted to ERU ... any Emergency Response Unit (go to each provincial Hiway Safety Acts or Statutes for definitions) Private Companies contracted to provide health care or safety to industry do use them but if push came to shove if you were involved in an MVC responding to a call or even hit while stationary well ... I would not want to be in that spot.

I have asked these very pointed questions (letters) to BCAS and BC Health Minister ... there is currently no provision for regulations nor licensure for the delivery of "private" Health Care in the Province of BC therefore unclear responses in that regard (ps the Health Minister has yet to respond ... well after all it's only been 5 months... sheesh)

For those that understand the heated issues regading the private vs public health care delivery systems in Canada ... a very touchy subject bottom line, like taking a gun out of Charlton Hestons cold dead hand, I digress.

OK REAL LIFE: I carry a lighter adapter Red rotating Beacon to protect scenes that I happen across ... WHY ? Because I am a Whanker ? whatever but really don't think so man , again, there are very different cultural values and serious legal differences than down south, I guess we Kanukistanians don't have as many ambulance chasing Lawyers .. Thank DOG !

NO WAY is anything OTHER than a Red Flashing Light is effective to slow traffic, RED/BLUE combo is restricted to Police only, AMBER for Caution (mostly construction) GREEN has been used for volly FF responding but reciently this has come under very serious "reconsiderations" (sp) because a Volly FF killed 3 in an MVC.

I have used RED Beacon many times and strictly "discrectionary" but then I have all the "licences" and member of SAR groups as well part of disaster services .... I have NEVER been questioned by an RCMP/Peace officer EVER in the use of my beacon, usually they shake my hand and thank me for assisting.

SIRENS hmmm dicey even if the "Supervisor" is a Construction Safety Officer (s) for a company, they are called CSO .... talk about a few whankers there .... most are idiots but occassionally one will run across one that is very very good.

I wonder if this traumateam1 is an OFA level 3 ? working on, say a pipeline project somewhere northern in BC ? ..... LOL.

Just a word of advice to traumateam1:

DON'T DO IT !

Just wondering if anyone knows what the laws and regulations are for having Lights and Sirens in your Personally Owned Vehicle. I have been considering getting some, but I don't know exactly what the laws are.. I'm going to google this right now, but if anyone knows off the top of their heads.. I would really like some info.

Thank you very much. :D [/font:d024d4cf8a]

As others have mentioned save your money and spend it on improving your education. You will find it's money much better spent in the long run. I believe NorthernMedic quoted the applicable regulation for you if you would still like to persist.

You wouldn't happen to be involved with St. Johns Ambulance would you? I noticed your occupation listed you as a Medical First Responder. I have to tell you St. Johns will not help you to develop a professional image or patient care skills. If you want to be a succsessful paramedic in BC or anywhere else for that matter you need to strive to become a paid professional.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.