I have a question can paramedic. not take a pt. to the hosp.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is much missing here......but since trying to get info from a nurse at a facility in this region is like pulling teeth, and what my command phys wants, they would get transported on the side of safety of the pt, treat the pt for the complaint and bring to the ed, and if finding out the someone previously did not want to transport the pt in said status report that little discrepency to authorities.

I want to Thank you for most of your comment. I will pass them to my kid.

At least you came back. The first post you disappeared.

I think your daughter or Kid didn't give you all the information you needed. You came here with limited info but I had no cause to disbelieve you in what you said but think that the entire story was not presented to you by your kid or by you to us.

I would also recommend that you proofread your sentences. If you read them out loud and if they don't sound right to you then they are surely not going to sound right to us.

But if what you say is true, that the spo2 was right, the patient was having difficulty breathing and her eyes were swelling shut then the paramedic was in preliminarily in the wrong by refusing to transport. But the situation is not always that cut and dried.

What is your daughters level of certification. If she is a CNA then her criticisms must be taken with a grain of skepticism but if she is an LPN or RN(yeah I know guys, that's a stretch, an RN taking care of patients in a nursing home - perish the thought) then she has more credibility.

If the paramedic actually said that he/she wasn't taking the patient then one must assume that there is more to this patients condition than met the eye.

In Arkansas paramedics can refuse transport, that does not mean we refused care. A RN or DON will not decide if I will transport or not, I make that choice. With that being said, if I am called out to a pts house or nursing home, I usually haul the pt. unless they(the Pt) refuses transport. I get paid to take care of people, and to get them to the hospital. It is the same amount of paper work either way. It is easier to explain why I transported someone who wanted to go to the hospital, then it is to explain why I didn't. I don't worry about pissing off Drs. or ERs. They too get paid to take care of people, even if it is only to examine someone assure them nothing is wrong and send them back home.

If was not for the needs of our Pts. of all degree of emergency we would not have a job.

We have a medic that tries to do a no transport on every person he comes in contact with. I have ran calls on more then one occasion, behind him (on Pts. he has no hauled) that turned out to be a code situation when I got there. I don't know about you, but I hope no one has to pick up after me like that!!!!

We have a medic that tries to do a no transport on every person he comes in contact with. I have ran calls on more then one occasion, behind him (on Pts. he has no hauled) that turned out to be a code situation when I got there. I don't know about you, but I hope no one has to pick up after me like that!!!!

If this is indeed true, that medic needs to be investigated for that. Sounds like a lazy medic and a danger to the people he is supposed to be helping.

I don't know how lax your district is, but in Suffolk LI we have strict protocols about RMA-ing patients. You need medical control approval with witness signatures and MD consultation. If a patient in my county had a sat in the 80s with eye swelling, they'd be in the hospital. That's incredibly lazy of him.

And it's never the decision of an EMS provider to refuse treatment here. It's upon pt request.

I don't know how lax your district is, but in Suffolk LI we have strict protocols about RMA-ing patients. You need medical control approval with witness signatures and MD consultation. If a patient in my county had a sat in the 80s with eye swelling, they'd be in the hospital. That's incredibly lazy of him.

And it's never the decision of an EMS provider to refuse treatment here. It's upon pt request.

If all is accurate that would be right but remember you are getting information from a third or fourth party. Have you ever played telephone, you whisper something to a person, they turn and whisper it to someone, after several people you ask so what did I say and almost always nothing like what you said.

Also think about it like this me and you are sitting on a park bench, granny gets robbed. We both saw the robber but odds are our descriptions will be completely different. So is one of us lying? No just we focused on different aspects.

With those points in mind now I hope you realize that the info presented is very inaccurate and far removed from actual call. Lets not condemn w/o actual facts.

As to not being able to deny transport guess you have your hack license as you are just a taxi driver if you haul everyone. Welcome fellow taxi driver.

I see.

As to not being able to deny transport guess you have your hack license as you are just a taxi driver if you haul everyone. Welcome fellow taxi driver.
Haha yeah, that'd be me. The alternative is tedious and paperwork-ridden.

The pt has the right to refuse any treatment, including life saving treatment if they wish.

We have to transport if we do something major (defined as giving mediciation beyond tylenol) or any fluids (exceptions are febrile seizures or simple hypoglycemia)

If we feel medical intervention is not required we do not have to transport.

A lot of our funding for accidents comes from the Government hence we only get paid if we transport, so we do a lot of absolute crap transports so we get paid.

The pt has the right to refuse any treatment, including life saving treatment if they wish.

We have to transport if we do something major (defined as giving mediciation beyond tylenol) or any fluids (exceptions are febrile seizures or simple hypoglycemia)

If we feel medical intervention is not required we do not have to transport.

A lot of our funding for accidents comes from the Government hence we only get paid if we transport, so we do a lot of absolute crap transports so we get paid.

At my part time job we can treat and release. We can treat and deny transport. We administer toradol, phenergan, d-50, and others then after assuring no adverse reactions we go back home. At this job we are considered medical professionals.

My full time job if at all possible we are to load patient and administer meds enroute to hospital. At this job we are just taxi drivers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.