TEMS Training

Hi,

Does any one know where to find a TEMS training course preferably in the Northeast/New Jersey area, but also any where in the country, the only one I found is holding the course the same time i'm going to be on vacation (Sep. 22-26). I searched through some of the old threads and couldnt find anything besides the one in Texas but they reguire you to have all of your own guns, ammo, etc....

Thanks

If you are a TEMS provider, why dont you have your own weapons????

I think CONTOMS is being reguvenated and will be running a class soon,, you need a letter of sponsership from a LE agency.. I believe the cost will be somewhere in the area of $800-1000, not sure yet, as soon as I find out info. I will post it here.

CONTOMS is a DOD program and is taught in the MD,DC area.

Thanks for the help, i found that CONTOMS Tactical has its own website and is now emtt.org and is running another one in october, it dosen't look like you are required to bring you own firearms I emailed them and will find out. I'm not a TEMS provider yet, I'm taking the course so I can be a TEMS provider.

I do not think that EMTT.org is related to CONTOMS,, as I stated previously CONTOMS is taught by the DOD thru the Uniformed Services Health Sciences (if foget what USHS stands for), but they are based out of Navy Med @ Bethesda and WRAMC in NW DC, and their instructors are Military medicine operators, not part of a private corporation.

Keep in mind as has been stated in numerous other TEMS posts on this site and others. A 5, 10, or 15 day course can not prepare you to be a TEMS operator, This class is meant to augment a FULL police academy and or a Full SWAT training program, the 5,10 or 15 day TEMS course barely sratches the surface and I would hesitate making entry into a hostile area with someone who was not a sworn member and trained SWAT operator.

I'm not trying to discorauge you from emtt.org, but as i said, it barely scratches the surface.

FormerEMSLT297 is correct about CONTOMS, and I believe he would know better than I do about what USPP is doing with it. At present, it doesn't exist in its former form.

Reposted from an earlier thread in this forum (your search-fu is weak):

Virtually anyone can issue such a certificate, since there is no regulating body or standard curriculum to define it. It doesn't mean much to have "EMT-Tactical". The only question is whether or not a SWAT team or educational program will recognize your basic 5 day TEMS course as a valid prerequisite for membership/advanced training/whatever.

Schools offering a comparable program:

Tacmed (www.tac-med.org)

Global Operations Response Group (www.gorgrp.com)

RTI (www.emtt.org)

ISTM (www.tacticalmedicine.com)

National Tactical Officer's Association (www.ntoa.org)

Cypress Creek EMS (www.ccems.com/catt_team/class.html)

'zilla

• 2 months later...

Doc and Former LT are on the money. It is interesting point that Former LT has about entry into a "Hot Zone" not being an operator or sworn member. This has been the topic of much discussion amongst great minds in heated settings. And does warrant merit to it. More times often than not, LEO's are taken from within and trained to provide TEMS as a secondary or cross training. Question becomes how bad do you really want TEMS? Patient care of an injured brother or sister or perp as opposed to LE protocols and policies. Both are required. Everyone who wanders from EMS to TEMS has to start somewhere, we all did. Best of luck. Stay safe

• 1 year later...

If I might jump in the discussion here even if a bit late...

With regards to what commercial training organization one selects, I would highly suggest before committing, that one take the time to thoroughly investigate into each organization. Make a phone call or drop an e-mail and inquire as to who makes up the cadre and what is the cadre background. Additionally, assure that the organization is compliant and teaching to standard regarding up-to-date casualty care guidelines as directed by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care.

As an added measure, make sure that the organization is made up of solid operators that indeed conduct operations and do not stem from a support element alone.

Just a few thoughts...

V/R

DC

Edited by DCHeathJr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.