Needle Decompression

Flasurfbum

I think I've done it 10 times or so. Seeing one done for the first time sealed the thought that I wanted to be a Paramedic when I grow up.

It may seem barbaric if they are conscious, but it's either that or they die. If they need it, just do it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite piece of advice about needle decompression comes from an ex-partner of mine who had done many a year in Brooklyn during the good old days. He said, "The definitive diagnosis of a tension pneumothorax is that the patient is willing to allow you to jab them in the chest with a needle if it will help them breathe."

If you see the late sign of tracheal deviation, it's amazing how fast it will straighten up after you do it.

I can only hope that people aren't waiting to see the trachea deviate before they decide to do something.

I can only hope that people aren't waiting to see the trachea deviate before they decide to do something.

I can name a nursing home that did exactly that.

Well, to be fair, they didn't KNOW the trach had deviated, they just waited for the portable x-ray results - seeing the deviation would've required actually looking at the patient. :roll:

Our BLS unit found the deviation. :shock:

I certainly hope they don't either. That would just be wrong on so many levels.

Amen, Brother

It's a procedure just like any other. The crux of the matter is knowing when and why to do it. That topic has been fairly comprehensively covered here. I have done it a number of times, it's not difficult at all. One of the issues we encountered initially is that the standard needle just isn't long enough sometimes, that's why we also carry vetinary needles.

WM

It's a procedure just like any other. The crux of the matter is knowing when and why to do it. That topic has been fairly comprehensively covered here. I have done it a number of times, it's not difficult at all. One of the issues we encountered initially is that the standard needle just isn't long enough sometimes, that's why we also carry vetinary needles.

WM

Anytime I was stocking a new drop bag or ambulance, I always requested the longer 14g needles. Luckily our resource hosp. had them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.