Have you ever touched a patient more than required?

spenac

Have you ever touched a patient more than your job requires?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I plead the 5th

A shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, and a thankful hug (to name a few) is what we call human compassion, and when appropriate; it IS part of the job.

It is human compassion but it is not required to do my job. I can treat my patient with no more contact than required to check and treat them. I do not have to be kind to them, I do not have to allow them to hold my hand, cry on my shoulder etc.

So technically all of us that show human compassion are actually touching our patients more than what is required to do our jobs.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't say Ruff', I would have.

A shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, and a thankful hug (to name a few) is what we call human compassion, and when appropriate; it IS part of the job.

This is a daily part of my job. I personally view it as more effective than many of the medications I am providing to some of the patients. Would I ever touch a patient inappropriately..HELL NO! Those who do need to be terminated immediately!

It is human compassion but it is not required to do my job. I can treat my patient with no more contact than required to check and treat them. I do not have to be kind to them, I do not have to allow them to hold my hand, cry on my shoulder etc.

So technically all of us that show human compassion are actually touching our patients more than what is required to do our jobs.

I understand what you are saying spen', but I'm not sold on that.

There are many ways we can dish out our services. Cold, however; is not a preferred "serving".

I understand what you are saying spen', but I'm not sold on that.

There are many ways we can dish out our services. Cold, however; is not a preferred "serving".

Having a good bed side manor can be considered treatment. It all goes hand in hand. (pardon the intentional pun)

Having a good bed side manor can be considered treatment. It all goes hand in hand. (pardon the intentional pun)

Don't get me wrong I am a very compassionate person. But I could do my job w/o it. It is not required. I do think it makes my care better than a cold person with same skill/education level. But again compassion is not required so any hand holding, shoulder touching etc is non-required touching.

Don't get me wrong I am a very compassionate person. But I could do my job w/o it. It is not required. I do think it makes my care better than a cold person with same skill/education level. But again compassion is not required so any hand holding, shoulder touching etc is non-required touching.

I have no problem with it. I've worked with many that wouldn't, or couldn't. To each his own. Like you said, it's not a requirement.

If placing a hand on someone's shoulder as a comfort measure is considered to be touching the pt more than needed; than yes I am guilty.

However, I have never touched a pt in a manner in which is inappropriate.

I personally feel that there are the times when holding a little old lady's hand as you transport her home for hospice care is possibly the BEST pt care you can provide. Oh sure, a little O2 to help with her saturation, but hey, she is going to die anyway so what does the O2 matter? Sometimes it is simply the touch of another human being that lets us know we are not alone, and that someone cares.

Of course, there are the times I have been on autopilot also, and just did what had to be done at the time. Bet most of us have been there too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.