A BIG ol pet peeve of mine.....

Doc, I am going to respectfully disagree with ya there. There have been multiple heat stress studies done that prove that shorts are beneficial, especially for firemen.

That being said, there is absolutely NO excuse for not pulling up your bunker pants before taking off. Or vollies not having at a minimum of a squad jumpsuit to get into before taking off.

I have absolutely no problem with shorts if they are covered up. Sure we'd wear shorts at night especially to bed, but always had either bunker pants or jumpsuits. Many times after a late night/ early morning call, we'd later go to Denny's for breakfast or at least coffee. At the door we'd peel them off and would be running around in socks and shorts. They never minded. We'd even go as far as getting our own coffee, and if they were busy we'd even grab the pot and help out the waitress.

My problem was wearing shorts only on a call. Especially if their legs are as white, hairy, and skinny as mine. :wink:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should be wearing reflective vests, thats a given. But, I for one will refuse to wear any sort of bunker gear on an MVC for several reasons................

1. They're just not needed. If extrication is required, then the firemonkeys can cut up the car to their hearts content, remove the patient, and then bring him/her to me.

2. Bunker gear tells the public that I am a firefighter, which I am not. I am the medical professional on scene, not a hose puller. My uniform clearly identifies me as such and there is no need to alter it.

3. It is already over 100 degrees outside and I am sweating my ass off, why on earth would I want to add more clothing that is not needed?!?!?

I'm all for letting fire cut someone out of a car, but I've found myself providing care inside a wreck while fire is doing just that on enough occasions that I will happily wear it.

Seems like any service I ran with, especially fire, that was my job. Since was smaller than almost everyone else (I didn't waste my hormones growing tall) I got stuffed inside and they would just cut the car from around us both. I didn't always have bunker gear on, but always a helmet and long pants.

Once again, I am not talking Firefighter style bunker gear. This light, EMS gear. EMS_jacket.gif

Maybe I'm not following you here as I haven't seen your other bunker gear thread, but that jacket still looks too damn hot to wear. I see no reason why it would be needed. Gloves, goggles, and a reflective vest if needed. Anything else is too much.

Maybe we are spoiled as most of our firefighters are also EMT's at the minimum. They can hold c-spine in the vehicle, control bleeding, or bag a patient. No other care should be required until the patient is extricated. Since the "cowboy intubation" that is performed inside the car, upside down, is now frowned upon, there isn't a need for much else. Please correct me if I am wrong........................

For all we know the highway was completely shut down.

Very good point. I don't have anything against the dorky bright vests, but I do get frustrated by people who think they need to be worn anytime you aren't in the truck or someone's home. If a road is closed and it is day time, why wear a vest?

The picture really doesn't do it justice. It is a real Navy blue.

Its not heavy, or hot at all. I live in Florida, and I wear my pants on MVCs, jacket of it sounds bad. It is a Nomex shell, and a CrossTech barrier. Not too warm at all. Beats the crap outta wearing bunker gear. The only thing I would like to see is padded knees (get your mind outta the gutter :P ) for kneeling on scene.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.