IMPORTANT Advice

Good advice firedoc, but there is a clear difference in the need to cover your ass and not needing to cover your ass! "Covering the ass" in this 'medics case would have been not to molest the girl in the first place.

The only ass covering a "chaperon(e)" would have provided in this case would pertain to the removal of temptation or the inability to act on it.

If this 'medic did actually commit this offense, then of course; there is no place for his "ass" in EMS in the first place.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this is why it is important to treat all patients equally. If you always show up at the hospital with hot patients naked but fat patients with same problems fully dressed something is up.

Do not hesitate to do what is needed. If it includes physical and/or visual exams document it. For example you on examination chest document everything (chest wall intact, no tenderness to palpation, no bruising, no marks noted from seat belt or steering wheel, etc etc.) By doing so it becomes clear that you have touched and looked. You did not hide your actions. I have actually had a female in a wreck that ruptured a breast implant, so I documented the differences between the breasts. I do not have option of calling for female to ride with us.

I have actually had one patient question my actions and I do not blame her, I would question any guy that had stripped and examined my daughter. The nurse asked what I had done and she checked run report and I had documented the actions and why done. She explained to the patient why it was done and that was the end of it. My medical directors all say they wish the others would document in more detail so they would know what was done and also to protect from lawsuits.

So do your job. Document your actions. Explain any change from your normal pattern. Live long and prosper. 8)

Again, I recommend highly, cannot recommend highly enough the progam called The Fifth Protocol. How to write a legally defensible report.

Do a internet search. you will find it.

As usual, I have a point that is kind of off topic, but can be meaningful in this context.

Manual PCRs are can be a pain on a busy service. But as said here, the purpose of a PCR is to document assessment, care and treatment, but as important, if not more, is legally defensable. A PCR may be the only way for you to remember a run from 3-4, even 7 years ago.

What I have a problem with is some of the new software packages. I am familiar with the local services' ePCR program. The medics love it here because it has an auto-narrative. In using it, I found that the narrative itself almost never exceeds more than 3 lines. Prior to uploading to the server, there is a chance to edit the narrative, but I have never seen that done. Now I agree that it can be a time saver in a busy service, but it is not much of an excuse when youre the one sitting in the witness box.

Spenac is right in that you have to do an assessment on every patient and it is important to document your findings, but it is also important to inform the patient of what you need to do and why. If it is an option, have a parent or female ride along if there is any risk of this coming back to bite ya later.

I feel that a female acting as chaperone is more for the emotional well being of a mistrusting female patient, due to possible things done to the patient both connected and not connected to the case at hand.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one advantage of having an active volunteer department...we almost never only have one EMT in the back of the ambulance. We also get law enforcement on most of our calls so if the EMT is ever uncomfortable being alone with a patient (or the patient is uncomfortable), the police are more than happy to ride along.

The EMTs who actually do harm patients deserve to be punished, but the innocent ones shouldn't have their lives ruined by false accusations.

Again, I recommend highly, cannot recommend highly enough the progam called The Fifth Protocol. How to write a legally defensible report.

Do a internet search. you will find it.

Could you provide a link of some kind? I'm not finding it on Google. Thanks.

I recall the "Fifth Protocol" book when it came out, but never had the chance to read it. I have the feeling that it has fallen to the wayside.

I did find a website with the "Missing Protocol" program. My guess is along the same line as the Fifth Protocol, in a classroom type format.

http://www.themissingprotocol.com/site/textbook.htm

EMSBooks.com has a number books on documentation that may be of interest also.

Can anyone confirm if this is the "Fifth Protocol" or the "Fifth Discipline"? If it is "Discipline", here's a link, which admittedly I did a rush lookup on.

http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Discipline-Practice-Learning-Organization/dp/0385517254/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

this topic came up in my basic class and my instructors said to count milage and time . i said why not cameras . they responded cost to much. i think companies should install fake cams at the least and tell tell their workers that they are real. but either way i am all for cams they can protect you in any situation not just the one being discuss here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.