vollys or payed

Ok what I mean is that. what ever you are basic advance intermediate or paramedic.

are responsibility for that pt and what skills level we are. And if anyone messes up

and hurt/kill that pt. or we don't show up when we are on. we are accountable. we can have are cert. pulled, sued or others things can happen.

And what level you are basic to paramedic we all do the same things first S/S, BSI, ABC

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I can assist:

Ok, what I mean is that whatever you are - basic advanced, intermediate, or paramedic,

our responsibility for that pt, and the skill level we are licensed too. If anyone messes up

and hurts or kills that pt. or we don't show up when we are on shift, we are accountable. We can have our cert. pulled, sued or others things can happen.

No matter what level you are, basic to paramedic we all do the same things first S/S, BSI, ABC

Phew that makes it a little easier to read, almost like it was written by some professional that writes legal documents now and again.

Anyway..... It seems as though you are not truly a Volly, do you get paid a royalty on a call?

If you are held accountable like you say you are, i find it hard to believe you are truly unpaid. Even if you get $50/call, that is not volly, that is just rediculously low pay.

I have been in a truly vollunteer system, there was NO pay, and NO standards. If you were around town, you went on the call, if there was no one around dispatch would tone the next nearest unit, and you were not accountable.

Ok what I mean is that. what ever you are basic advance intermediate or paramedic.

are responsibility for that pt and what skills level we are. And if anyone messes up

and hurt/kill that pt. or we don't show up when we are on. we are accountable. we can have are cert. pulled, sued or others things can happen.

And what level you are basic to paramedic we all do the same things first S/S, BSI, ABC

And both myself and Ayatollah Khomeni take a piss in the morning after we wake up. What's your point?

Hard question to answer...it depends on the person really, so I'm going to say it's a tie. I'm a newbie EMT-B and I've been volunteering since Oct 2007, never really went out looking for a paid position since I got certified (busy w/ school & home issues to fit even a job in at the moment) :newb:

Nurse, give this man 200cc of humour STAT!

IV or PR, Nurse's discretion :D

The head shouldn't be taken PR, causes hypoxia and leads to threads such as this.

And both myself and Ayatollah Khomeni take a piss in the morning after we wake up. What's your point?
Holy crap, really? Hasn't the urine filled up the sarcophagus by now? Probably be hell to pay if he can figure out a way to get out of the thing before he, you know, drowns and all that.

Holy crap, really? Hasn't the urine filled up the sarcophagus by now? Probably be hell to pay if he can figure out a way to get out of the thing before he, you know, drowns and all that.

If he's waking up every morning in a sarcophagus he has bigger problems than where he takes a leak. ;) As for the original topic, this one was pretty tame compared to most of our volley/paid, ALS/BLS bashfests. Keep up the good work.

holy shit, i cant believe there is another one of these self idealistic BS topics running in here?

wait wait... i didn't read em, but i can guarantee what the arguments for non-PAID, and it is something along the lines of vollies caring more because they do it for free or they do it to serve the community and how selfless they are yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Is that close?

Heres a flash, nobody does anything unless they get something out of it for themselves. If its about helping the community or giving back, serve soup up in a homeless shelter and keep your first aid certificate off the ambulance, save your neighbour, be a professional, not a professional amateur

• 4 weeks later...

When you ask the question "Who is more passionate: Vollies or Paid?" It just doesn't seem like a clear enough question. Passionate about what? What kind of work they do or why they do the work? I am a volunteer at a company that runs about 10,000 calls a year. I spend almost all of my free time there. I do a lot of work there. Most of the full-timers there will even say that I do more work than some of the paid employees. Many of them look at me and say, "Why are you helping, this isn't your job?" The answer is simple really, I am in the station and on the truck, I should help. I feel its my responsibility too. I don't expect the paid employees to act like my mother and clean up after me just because I'm not paid. I'm not saying that I shouldn't clean up after myself but I feel everyone should chip in and help.

The picking and choosing of calls....I am guilty of this one. But not to the point where I say that call is BS I'm not going on it, I'll wait here for you to clear up. I am the third person on the truck so in reality I could do that but never have. On the other hand, if there is 2 calls going out at once i may pick one over the other but I have never said, "I just don't feel like going so I'm not." I go on the calls because I want the experience.

I love the kind of work I do because it is so important to me. If you ask my family, I am obsessed with going to my station. I came home early from my vacation last month just to go there. I geuss at some point I would say that I was obsessed, but I think I am one step short of obsessed, which in turn is passionate. After, a call I react the same way as our paid employees, and help clean up after any and all calls just like them.

I'm not saying volly's are more passionate than paid, but I am saying it depends on where you go. I think that as time progresses you lose the passion and it just becomes a job, more than a passion.

I am a volunteer because I am only 18 and cant get a job without being 21 because of insurance reasons. i do wish, however that i do turn this into my career. But even being paid I hope to still be as passionate about it as I am now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.