vollys or payed

Are you honestly trying to compare someone who goes on EMS calls when they have the time vs someone who is on an ambulance 40+ hours a week? Which one do you think gets more experience over any amount of time?

Also, what exactly is the punishment for not showing up to an EMS call at a volunteer agency? You don't get to play with the lights and sirens? Fail to show up/run calls for a paid provider and you're out of your lively hood. The simple fact is that there is nothing holding a volunteer back from deciding to only run the 'exciting' calls.

We are assigned a night not showing up for calls can get our gear pulled for a while, if you are still a probe you might have your year probation extended or something more serious if it happens enough times, sometimes it could get you kicked off the department.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are assigned a night (One night? They make me show up four days a week at my job. )not showing up for calls can get our gear pulled (ooooohhhhhhh, take my ePCR, take my pager, take my narc keys, I need a vacation) for a while, if you are still a probe you might have your year probation extended (oh the humanity) or something more serious (take away my birthday? Good, I don't want any more of those things.) if it happens enough times, sometimes it could get you kicked off the department. (Well, if those bastards do that, I'll just go out and get a job!)

At one time in my life, when I had no life, I was a volunteer. One day I grew up and realized that I would never be a part of the good 'ole boy system. I also found out that I could earn a meager living doing the job I love to do, and I would take a lot less crap from my boss than I ever did from the line officers. Now I work, come home and enjoy hobbies outside of work.

Volunteer systems do not have any regulated accountability. If I don't show up for my shift at work, I get a nice page. If I happened to be in the ICU or dead, I'm forgiven. If I ignore that page, I can look forward to receiving my final paycheck with my company. Miss a call night at the volly house, and they might yank my gear. I can assure you that I won't miss that second rate, ill-fitting canary crapola. I really won't miss it because I have no desire to fight fire anyway. I'm a paramedic, not a hose dragger.

I will finish this with the statement I know all you volly types just love... You all are heroes, man! :roll: Now hurry up and run out the door like you just got paged for the big one.

Heh, EMS, I liked your comments about the line officers.

Too high jack this thread just a little I think the biggest issue that is driving me out of this profession is the arrogance and political bullshit of it. The ratio of people who act like they know all about prehospital care versus the amount of people who can even get through the simplest of tasks properly in the field is extremely low.

If its not dealing with the officer's bullshit, its dealing with my partner's bullshit, and if its not my partner's bullshit, its the EMT's bullshit, and if its not the EMT's bullshit, its the firefighter's bullshit, who's bullshit supercedes all other bullshit, but that's another story.

I ask, whatever happened to just doing your job? Doing my job is the only goal I have at work. Even if the call is bogus, I still try to get it done well. Why can't people just focus on what needs to be done to get the calls done, and then do it, and go the hell home?

Now I'm really ranting, but you know what? I have met a lot of people in my life, people who know things and will do things that I will never even come close too. Neurosurgeons, astrophysicists, professional musicians, Navy SeALs, I've known these people and they do not have the same fucking egos I run into doing this line of work. Maybe some of them do, but not the ones I've met.

So, for the love of God, everybody get the fuck over themselves already! THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO, FIREMEN!!!

Okay, I'm done. I need a cigarette.

Heh, EMS, I liked your comments about the line officers.

Too high jack this thread just a little I think the biggest issue that is driving me out of this profession is the arrogance and political bullshit of it. The ratio of people who act like they know all about prehospital care versus the amount of people who can even get through the simplest of tasks properly in the field is extremely low.

If its not dealing with the officer's bullshit, its dealing with my partner's bullshit, and if its not my partner's bullshit, its the EMT's bullshit, and if its not the EMT's bullshit, its the firefighter's bullshit, who's bullshit supercedes all other bullshit, but that's another story.

I ask, whatever happened to just doing your job? Doing my job is the only goal I have at work. Even if the call is bogus, I still try to get it done well. Why can't people just focus on what needs to be done to get the calls done, and then do it, and go the hell home?

Now I'm really ranting, but you know what? I have met a lot of people in my life, people who know things and will do things that I will never even come close too. Neurosurgeons, astrophysicists, professional musicians, Navy SeALs, I've known these people and they do not have the same fucking egos I run into doing this line of work. Maybe some of them do, but not the ones I've met.

So, for the love of God, everybody get the fuck over themselves already! THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO, FIREMEN!!!

Okay, I'm done. I need a cigarette.

You are my hero.

Ok i have a few more reply from some of you.

two of you said that the one that work 40 hours a week. i just look my on call time for this month 162 hours and when I am on call and when the tones go off i am out the door. I cant say that not a good run so i wont go. And if they need more help I am out the door to help. we have the same accountability as the paramedics and the same responsiblity aswell. and most of the paid have a 30 min from tone to back where most volly have a 2-3 hour run and some time 4-7 hours and don't forget most have a full time jobs,

Ok i have a few more reply from some of you.

two of you said that the one that work 40 hours a week. i just look my on call time for this month 162 hours and when I am on call and when the tones go off i am out the door. I cant say that not a good run so i wont go. And if they need more help I am out the door to help. we have the same accountability as the paramedics and the same responsiblity aswell. and most of the paid have a 30 min from tone to back where most volly have a 2-3 hour run and some time 4-7 hours and don't forget most have a full time jobs,

#-o What did he say??? :dontknow:

About those English/grammar classes :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.