vollys or payed

Volley had a lot more passion for the job because you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart

You can have those who are "doing this out of the goodness of (their) heart." If I call for help I want the provider who challenged themselves, paid attention in their CE sessions, and is the best darn EMT or paramedic in the system to show up at my doorstep. I don't care what their background is.

if you are paid you just do it for the money but dont admit it most of the time

Do you have a job? Why do you do that job? Perhaps you're just independently wealthy and the idea of working to put food on your table and provide for your family may be a foreign concept to you. However, I suspect you are not and you're just looking to stir up sh!t on the internet because you are bored or lonely. Tell me this, would you go to work every day if your employer stopped paying you? I think not.

As for "being in it for the money," I don't know of a single person who went in to EMS to get rich. It's a calling for the paid folks just like it is for the volunteers. I am going to use Cleveland EMS as an example since it is the largest 3rd service EMS system that I am familiar with. The dedicated men and women who work in that system certainly aren't doing it for the money. They're the lowest paid of the city's safety forces and treated as red-headed step-children by the city when compared with Fire or Police. Most of the medics I've known there are in sufficient physical condition and possess sufficient aptitude to pass anyone's fire exam. If they were really in it for the money, why wouldn't they land a job on Cleveland Fire (or any of the suburbs) where they'd make better money, work ~100 days out of 365 in a year, and be treated better by the community?

As for myself, I work my full-time job (non-EMS) because my employer pays me very well. That fact is as clear to my employer as it is to myself and I make no apologies for it. I strive to be the best in my field and do the best job I am capable of. Likewise, for the 20-30 hours a week I work with a private ambulance company I take the same approach. I work hard, keep educating myself, and am striving to be known as one of the better EMTs in the system. All of that said, any streak of altruism that I may have that keeps drawing me to this field stops short of me feeling compelled to return my paycheck and do all that work for free. If anyone has a problem with that, it is theirs and not mine.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm thinking about buying stock in Gall's. Since the 'passion' you speak of induces volleys to buy loads of t-shirts, badges, jump kits, EMT socks and Firefighter belt buckles. Hell I love your passion it will make me rich. :wink:

I couldn't find a turtle, so I used the cute rubber ducky. Rubber ducky, you're the one. You make bath time lots of fun!

[web:d7e978bf76]http://www.sesameworkshop.org/sesamestreet/bio/images/muppet_hdr_ernie.gif[/web:d7e978bf76]

When I was a kid we had our choice of TV channels we were allowed to watch. We could watch PBS or PBS. Needless to say there are many lines from Sesame Street and Read All About It I know from heart. And, every time I get to watch "How It's Made" on the Science Channel I am fondly reminded of all the times I got to watch things being made on Picture Picture (Mr. Rodgers). I didn't get out much as a kid. :D

I now return you to your regularly scheduled argument, already in progress.

I wish I was paid but I’m to young and still a student :D volunteering makes for good practise putting the theory into practise, at uni you never work on real people.

Hi

ok just a question. who do you think has more passion to the job?

volunteers or payed

I know most of you will go with what you are volly or payed but i would like you too look deep. I not looking who has more training or have more call. I looking for passion.

Paid, they cared about it so much, they made it their life careers.

Professional

adj.

1. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession:

2. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.

2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career:

3. Performed by persons receiving pay:

4. Having or showing great skill; expert:

amateur

n.

1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.

2. Sports. An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.

3. One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.

I think the paid professionals have it...

I don't want the amateurs at my, or my families, house if the need arises...Passion aside :wink:

--just sayin'

Fire/EMT, passion is subjective. Judging by the rules laid down about excluding training and what not you are apparently trying to boost your own opinion.

I agree with Anthony, passion is what dictated me going full time in the medical field and not remaining a volunteer.

I think we can all see what this question was set up to do. I think both can be equally passionate. I started out as your typical volley buff, yeah, I placed a few orders with Galls, I'll admit it. However passion doesn't equal properly caring for people. I don't care how passionte you are for your job, if you don't have the education and knoledge you need to do it properly you are a risk to your patients.

I also have issues with the person who said that volleys do it out of the goodness of their heart. I know plenty that do it for an ego boost. They wear their volley squad jackets 24/7 and expect to get special treatment because they are a volley. They pull their cars up and park in the fire zone and think it is ok because they have a sign on their front window that says they are a volley. These volleys also complain that they aren't getting a big enough LOSAP payment and their firehouses/ambulance HQs aren't big enough and don't have the 555 inch hi-def plasma TV that the next company has. How is expecting special treatment because you are a volunteer, doing it out of the goodness of your heart?

I also have an issue with the statement that just because you get a paycheck, you don't have any passion for the job. I make a pretty good paycheck and I have passion for my job. I enjoy going to work everyday. I can't imagine myself doing anything else. If you are going to tell me that just because I make money doing what I enjoy that I do not have any passion, you need to come back to reality. Why else do we go into our chosen fields? We do it because it is something we love.

Volley had a lot more passion for the job because you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart

if you are paid you just do it for the money but dont admit it most of the time

Do you really believe that load of crap? If you do go back to your regularly scheduled internet chat sessions.

Sure I do it for the money, hell it pays the bills which is of course why EVERYONE works.

What you are saying in essence is that every volunteer has enough money to do their hobby and do it for free.

What a load of BS you tried to push under our noses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.