PHTLS Class - Anyone taken it?

I am considering taking a Prehospital Trauma Life Support course. The description says it is for all levels of responders, but of course the school wants all the tuition it can get. However, I am concerned that it is designed more for an ALS provider, and myself being an EMT, that it won't be right for me. It is more expensive than other CE courses, so if it is going to focus on intubation, IV's and meds that I can't use, I don't want to waste my money. If anyone has taken this course, I'd really appreciate any insight.

I took a similar course ITLS - international trauma life support. There were paramedics, EMTs and even a physician in the course. The paramedics took a different test than the basics. It reinforced assessment skills, exposed us to different extrication and immobilization devices and reinforced the "load and go" concepts. I took it during paramedic school and personally found it to be a "merit badge" type course in that I don't think I learned anything that wasn't taught in paramedic school. I thought it was "dumbed" down. Although there is practice in intubation and pericardiocentesis, both ACLS skills, there is a lot of other stuff that would be directly applicable to EMTs.

Considering that PHTLS is written by the folks that write ATLS for physicians, I'd go with that one rather than BLTS/ITLS/whatever stupid name they're calling themselves these days. (I love how they up and voted themselves "International," as if they're the new standard or something.)

Oh wait. I did go with PHTLS. Learned a lot in that class that I wish had been part of my education to that point.

Although there is practice in intubation and pericardiocentesis, both ACLS skills.

Holy crap! Not only did we take a different ITLS class, but our scope of practice is radically different!

Just sayin'.... :wink:

Dwayne

I took the class as a Basic and it was a great experience. Some of the information was over my head, however it motivated me to learn more.

I would try to find someone that has taken the class at the facility you're considering attending. Just because the course has good information doesn't mean it will be presented well.

Good Luck.

Many EMTs take the local PHTLS class. It's a great course, very skills based. You don't need to know any ALS skills, just know when the ALS skill should be used.

For example, during testing, you might be all EMTs in your group, so you would verbalize that if you had ALS you'd do a needle decompression. If there's a paramedic on your team and you're being tested, you would tell your paramedic to needle decompress them.

They go over the ALS stuff too...it's just basic IV, EKG, intubation, needle decompression for the most part. You'll learn a whole lot. The principle of assessment and quick load and go you learn will definitely help you as an EMT. For sure. I HIGHLY recommend the class.

I would try to find someone that has taken the class at the facility you're considering attending.

Good Luck.

I haven't had luck so far, when asking people I know, which led me to post in this much wider pool of people. Maybe someone on here is in the LA area and taken the class at UCLA or anywhere else in the area.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I've been a role-player at the UCLA class. I highly recommend it. Good teachers, all very knowledgeable, all very skills-based, and lots of EMTs take it. They modify grading to your scope of practice. You'll learn some good stuff in it. I'll probably be going through it as a student next time it's offered (they canceled the class last week due to low enrollment...it's usually a pretty full class though).