Dating/Marriage at work?

In the county i work a lot of the EMS workers are married to or dating other individuals tat work for the same organization. Myself and my significant other both work for the same EMS system. Where i work it is encouraged and supported by the owner of the company. Child care is even given during mandatory CMEs that both parents have to be on. The only restriction is that you can not be on the same truck as a family member/husband/wife/significant other. My organization is Very family oriented where we have fathers/sons/wives, and almost the whole family working together. I was wondering if it is like that in other areas? We are talking about moving and was not sure if other EMS organizations are as accepting of two members being together. Right now i am a Basic starting my I class then Medic, he is a Medic working on critical care. Is this normally okay?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it work and I've seen it not. Usually when it doesn't work out someone, if not all partys, leave. My immediate family worked well together with a volunteer service that I helped out with on my days off. But it's also something I'd be very hesitant in doing if two people just start seeing each other.

My general rule when it comes to dating people you work with is this: Don't sh*t where you live. When things don't work out it can be rather uncomfortable - not just for you but for your co-workers who might be stuck in the middle.

Which isn't to say that I've always followed this rule... let my mistake serve as a warning to others. :lol:

Right now i am a Basic starting my I class then Medic, he is a Medic working on critical care. Is this normally okay?

No. Normally, it is a much, much better idea to go straight to paramedic school without screwing around with Intermediate training. Intermediate is often counterproductive to your future education and professional development.

Thanks for all the input. we were together long before we both started working for the same company so not worried about the just dating where you work and i agree with normally not starting a relationship from someone at work. mostly i guess i was looking to see if other organizations let married people both work there.

and Thanks for the input on the basic to medic. i attempted to do it that way to start with. the systems that are with in reasonable driving distance (especially with gas prices as they are) will only teach basic to I then to Medic. They are not allowing the jump. thanks everyone for the input.

Where I work they will allow you and your significant other to both work for the service. They will however, never put you on the same shift together or at the same station. I'm not completely sure why you can't be at the same station, I do understand why they obviously won't/can't put you on the same shift however.

Never seen it work out very long. We have a married couple (work opposite shifts) & they were medics prior to marriage as well. It is all fine and dandy until someone breaks up or gets a divorce... & it will happen.

Then the troubles come..

I wish you best of luck, & I believe like Dust, pass the B.S. levels if possible.

R/r 911

Out of all the years I have worked EMS here I can honestly say I have seen this work out one time, but tried many and all have failed. I personally have to agree with the others that it doesnt work for very long as long as the train is on track its smooth sailing but when that train hits a rock on the track the whole company can be in for a derailment. It upsets the whole team not just the two parties in the relationship.

Lady its good that your company is family oriented but I have one question if you your hubby, kid, aunt, uncle etc all work for the same place and another family member dies who covers the shifts that you all would be working?

When I first got to my old company there was an engaged couple working the same shift rotation out of the same base, but not the same truck. They also went to medic school together. They've since had their wedding and just had their first child, though neither one of them work there anymore (she sustained a career-ending injury, he got a far better job).

I teach with a couple that work at a different company that aren't allowed to work in the same base.

I will say that at my old bank job, relationships seemed to end far more messily than any EMS relationship I've seen so far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.