firefighting

if you become a paramedic are you guaranteed a spot as a firefighter

like will they pick u over others

No. Content Removed - Admin

It may help. It may help a lot. But it depends on how all your other qualities and education stacks up against the others applying. You realise that there are sometimes thousands of people -- many of them already medics -- applying for most fire positions in the country, right?

And more than that, it depends on where you are (which you FAIL to tell us). Some places it helps. But in many parts of the country, it makes zero difference, because the fire department does not have any responsibility for EMS there.

That's what I did. Depending on the hiring practices, tests, physical agility, practicals, etc. Some depts. may even announce that they are looking for Paramedics. But you still have to qualify as any potential firefighter would. If they use a point system you may be given something like 5 extra points for already being a Paramedic. That will give you a little bit of an edge over someone who isn't. Most of the time you are put on an eligibility list. Depending on points will determine where on the list you are. As someone leaves the dept. the next person on the list is hired. Check with whatever dept. you are interested in and find out what their hiring practices are. Good Luck.

If you are a paramedic and have firefighter II, you would obviously be qualified and desireable. In the Chicagoland suburbs, you must have both to even be considered. Single role medics and single role firefighters are a thing of the past around here.

If you want to be even more desireable, join a paid on call or volunteer department. You will get more training and experience. Any class you take like Hazmat Ops or Tech A is always good as well as TRA (technical rescue awareness), NIMS classes, Confined Space and Trench or Vertical Rescue.

There are two lists and tests here in Chicago. Firefighter/EMT-b and Paramedic. It is easier to get on as a medic as the list s usually shorter. After X amount of time, a medic can cross over (after going thru FF academy - 3 months) and become a FF/Medic.

Look at where you are working or where you want to work to see if its worth all the trouble. Here in Chicago, a FF/Medic makes 6% more and it's going to go up to 8% with the next contract. And it's pensionable.

Good luck. Anything that takes you up the ladder quicker and makes you more desireable is highly suggested in this very desireable field.

Interesting to see differences in training ideas. Every FD with which I'm familiar doesn't want anyone to have any type of firefighting background or experience prior to hire. They'd prefer to train a complete newbie. This prevents some smart-arsed know it all from being a discipline problem in the academy. This also creates an environment where everyone is taught the same information, trained on the same material and does the job the way the department wants in an attempt to limit the lone rangers who go off on their own because "that's the way my vollie squad does it".

-be safe

The FDNY hires EMTs, Paramedics, and Fire Fighters. All have to pass tests as if they all were becoming Fire Fighters.

EMTs can upgrade to Paramedic. Both can "advance" to Fire Fighter, but if they don't make it through FD Proby School, they are outta there, totally, and cannot just return to EMS!

Some long-timer Fire Fighters have voiced to me that anyone in EMS somehow "cheated the system" getting into the department, as EMS Academy is a shorter time than Fire Academy.

Me, I was "grandfathered" in, when EMS was moved from NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation management, to FDNY management. Due to age (born 1954) and injury (too many to note here), I admit I probably could not make the physicals for entry today.

I have also heard complaint that the children of Fire Fighters are "back door-ing" into the department, by way of the EMS. I suspect this was the case with one individual who was an EMT in my station, but I'm not discussing that one further, except to say he is a Fire Fighter now.

To be a little more blunt, if you think you can get on just because you are already a paramedic, you're wrong.

The FDNY hires EMTs, Paramedics, and Fire Fighters. All have to pass tests as if they all were becoming Fire Fighters.

EMTs can upgrade to Paramedic. Both can "advance" to Fire Fighter, but if they don't make it through FD Proby School, they are outta there, totally, and cannot just return to EMS!

Some long-timer Fire Fighters have voiced to me that anyone in EMS somehow "cheated the system" getting into the department, as EMS Academy is a shorter time than Fire Academy.

Me, I was "grandfathered" in, when EMS was moved from NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation management, to FDNY management. Due to age (born 1954) and injury (too many to note here), I admit I probably could not make the physicals for entry today.

I have also heard complaint that the children of Fire Fighters are "back door-ing" into the department, by way of the EMS. I suspect this was the case with one individual who was an EMT in my station, but I'm not discussing that one further, except to say he is a Fire Fighter now.

Just to clear this up. EMT/Paramedics are not FireFighters and are not tested the same. In fact the city will hire a current EMT or Paramedic without civil service test they just have to take the next test. Also you have to have worked in EMS for at least 5 years before you can transfer to Fire, but again you have to pass all the test and then you can be admitted in the next fire class, then pass that before you get on the job. It is in no way a simple you worked the bus you can now play with the big boys. Also as a side note, Fire hates EMS so if you make it known you backed doored your way in through EMS, the guys in the houses will ride you harder then a normal probie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.