Kidney Stone Pain

LOL@PCP for a kidney stone :lol: That's beauty!

But yeah, back in medic school, the discussion of using MS for CHF and PE does often leave the student with a lasting belief that MS has significant duretic actions. This isn't the first time I have heard that belief. This is probably something that schools should make a concerted effort to clarify the issue as they teach, taking care to not closely link morphine with furosemide in pharmacological discussions.

Furosemide is probably the 4th most common med. we administered. Some docs and nurses were concerned about us giving it in the field without a foley cath. inserted. But since we were in town and usually no longer than 5-6 min. from either hospital, it didn't appear to cause any problems. We'd make it there in plenty of time.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after a good assessment, pain control is a good thing for your Pt. At least with my training, pain control does not hinder an MD eval. They still normally do all the tests anyhow. Of course the idea is not to "gork" them out, just take the edge off. This is just good care in my opinion.

As far as Fentanyl goes, I was taught that the chance of side effects is less than MS. I don't know about cost, maybe that is it??.

Like mentioned, some people are "seekers" but I guess that will never change. Seems that most services have a few. But I feel that we cannot with hold good care for people in need in light of a few that are abusing the "system"

I guess I am lucky in my area's that I work. The Docs usually have no big problem with treating pain as long as good assessment and judgement is used before treatment.

Good post and food for thought by author.. :)

I am a firm believer in pain management for kidney issues, probably due to me being one of the lucky folks who has this. But I am also a firm believer now in thorough assessment and testing! I have hx of stones and went to the ER 04/04 for what I thought to be another stone, they didn't do anything for me due to me having hx and they took my word for this. I got an rx for pain meds and told to drink lots of fluids. Now here it is 2 months later, and after extensive testing with a nephrologist I've been diagnosed with RTA (renal tubular acidosis), i am still in horrid pain, and nothings working.

Now with all that said, I love Torodal for kidney pain, seems to work immediately for me and I don't get that goofy headrush from narcotics.

I am a firm believer in pain management for kidney issues, probably due to me being one of the lucky folks who has this. But I am also a firm believer now in thorough assessment and testing! I have hx of stones and went to the ER 04/04 for what I thought to be another stone, they didn't do anything for me due to me having hx and they took my word for this. I got an rx for pain meds and told to drink lots of fluids. Now here it is 2 months later, and after extensive testing with a nephrologist I've been diagnosed with RTA (renal tubular acidosis), i am still in horrid pain, and nothings working.

Now with all that said, I love Torodal for kidney pain, seems to work immediately for me and I don't get that goofy headrush from narcotics.

I was diagnosed with renal cholic a few times. Imitates kidney stones, just no blood in the UA. Unfortunately, since I can't have Torodal, I'm just told to tough through it.

I was diagnosed with renal cholic a few times. Imitates kidney stones, just no blood in the UA. Unfortunately, since I can't have Torodal, I'm just told to tough through it.

Not all kidney stones have blood either. Colic is the actual pain which is usually caused by a stone (though not always).

Not all kidney stones have blood either. Colic is the actual pain which is usually caused by a stone (though not always).

Yeah, I've had actual stones without blood also. I think I've had almost every kind of version of stones. They are all painful.

Yeah, I've had actual stones without blood also. I think I've had almost every kind of version of stones. They are all painful.

I feel for ya dude. I had 1 that was 2mm and it sucked. Let's not even start talking about PCP for stones. I have enough trouble kicking the people out who are looking for their dilaudid fix.

I think I already posted that I stopped counting at 12 kidney stones and had to have cysto w/ retro-grade about nine times to remove them. One thing I found out is that no matter the size, they tend to hurt the same. Never had any kidney failure, but I went through liver failure about 12 years ago. I was in the hosp. for nine days, given 125mg. Demerol q 4-6 hrs. with 75- 100mg. Visteral, whether I asked for it or not. It did cause me to loose weight that I needed to, but it's not the greatest way to do it. You will not dig it. :puke:

Needless to say, afterward I did have with drawl. It was made worse that I had to travel from LA back to IL, about 600 miles. Luckily my parents came down and got me. Took me about two weeks to recover from that alone. :sad1:

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.