Helicopter crashes, explodes in flames on hospital roof

spenac

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the live breaking news when I first woke up and turned on the tele this morning. The news idiots kept saying "Cedar Rapids", so I thought it was Iowa. But when the fire chief opened his mouth, I immediately knew he was from Michigan. :lol:

The pilot was our most experienced pilot (Vietnam Vet). As of 5pm the ER was reopened. Elective surgeries tomorrow are cancelled but it is otherwise business as usual (except for getting transfers by helicopter).

maybe the faa want take to long to come up with the cause

I got the 'inside' on this. The pilot was a 16 year veteran with AeroMed. He was not training. Every certain amount of years, the F.A.A. has to do inspections on the helicoptors. This was an inspection flight. There is a lot of construction in downtown Grand Rapids and the pilots can not fly straight in because of a crane that is near. They must go over the crane and come straight down from that position. Apparently when he was landing, the tail rotor clipped the radio antenna and when the coptor began to spin, the pilot purposely dived toward the roof to avoid landing in the street and killing other people, in turn causing the explosion. The pilot is in stable condition at this time, with a few tubes going into his body and I'm not sure about the F.A.A. member except I know he's alive and well.

Glad everybody got out ok just goes to show even when you train you need to treat it as a real wourld event. cause u never know what going to happen

Could you please use English, spell check, etc. By doing such it will be easier to understand your post. Thank you.

I'm glad everyone is okay. Which is why folks, only call the helicopter if absolutely necessary. Yes, they are loud and impressive but they also have a tendency to crash and explode terribly. I hate helicopters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.