LOL @ Pueblo, CO AMR/Fire Response WHY??????????????

Is this type of response really beneficial to the patient and the public?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Honestly, I feel that I am just banging my head against a wall, arguing with all the ignorance here. Fires just don't go out. One house burning will impinge on either side, and then one house becomes 3, 3 becomes 5, 5 becomes 7, until the whole block is gone. Again proper property defense preperation by homeowners and construction would stop that issue dead in it's track, so that is not a valid arguement for big fire budgets. It takes no less then TWENTY firefighters to mitigate a single family dwelling fire. Where are all those people going to come from? Where in the hell do you dream up 20. We did it for many years with less than 10. Again another balloon figure to claim need of more money when it is not based on facts. You choose to take your anger and frustration out on the WRONG source. In a perfect world, Fire, EMS, and PD would all be well paid, highly motivated, and highly trained. Guess what, this ain't utopia. Nope it sure ain't but fire sure has tried to make sure they get as close as they can regardless of the patients that are hurt.

EMS already has problems retaining people. How do you think that they will be able to attract, and keep more quality people? Bring people over from the interfacility side? Most of them are just competent to pass the test, let alone take care of a critical patient.

Dept. Public Works, Sanitation Dept, city administrators, why are you not going after them?

Fire has been providing first response EMS since before EMS even existed. WHAT? Makes no sense what I am reading.

I am NOT in favor of Fire transportation. I am not in favor of Fire providing full ALS care.

I am in favor of EMS getting more funding, and cutting Fire Dept ambulances, in favor of a third party EMS agency. I am in favor of ILS, and ACLS certified firemen on Engines, or even better, a Squad 51 type vehicle, to provide first response care for the patient.

Cutting fire apparatus to fund EMS is NOT the answer. Get off that idea. Quit being a cry baby because you can't get on a fire dept, or a fireman stole your girlfriend. Why the bitter attacks? I was 2nd highest score out of several hundred applicants that tested at several fire services, yes only second several different times I am ashamed. I turned down the jobs each time as I was really not interested in moving.

If you do not under stand fire behavior, in both the wildland/urban interface, and structural firefighting, how can you in good conscious advocate cutting resources?I understand this better than you do apparently. Been there done that, bought the t-shirt. So I speak based on experience when I say cut fires fat budget.I mean, you haven't had a car crash in years, (if ever), so why wear your seatbelt? Or pay car insurance? Or even have that expensive health insurance?

The absolute ignorance that is being displayed here is staggering. Yes your ignorance continues to shock us all. I can fully understand wanting more resources, and funding. So, how about we educate the legislators, do more public relations, stop letting privates and vollys do 911 (there are circumstances for everything, so I am not 100% against either in all circumstances), but we are our own worst enemy! How about we get the word out that hey, we aren't just people standing on the sidelines, when to call 911, and when to call a cab, and push BACK against the IAFC and IAFF when they want to fully take over EMS operations.

But be reasonable, and understand that there needs to be a comprimise when it comes to EMS operations.I will never compromise my patients right to the best care possible.

Now FireGuard69 it is time for you to quit making the personal attacks that got you banned last time.

I posted a few responses in line in your above quoted post.

Employer? Union Firefighter? I don't think so. I am a volly on a combo dept, and in Medic school.

How can I grasp it so well? Because I have held a Florida address for almost 7 years now, with one year spent back in Jersey so I could get experience as an EMT that I would otherwise not be able to get here, so I can be more experienced, and become a better medic.

Once again, I have no employer. Unless you want to count that cardiac monitoring company that called me for a job interview today.

Him and I are rather tight. You might even say I know him as well as I know myself.

A lot of attitude for your 20 years and limited experience.

Could most of your opinions be coming from HIM since they are so similar and he works at a FD... " I can't wait until I am done Paramedic school in October, so I can get hired as a Career Firefighter."(quote from his myspace).

http://www.myspace.com/theonlycowboyatgillians

A lot of attitude for your 20 years and limited experience.

Could most of your opinions be coming from HIM since they are so similar and he works at a FD... " I can't wait until I am done Paramedic school in October, so I can get hired as a Career Firefighter."(quote from his myspace).

http://www.myspace.com/theonlycowboyatgillians

I see you failed to note the sarcasm there. I am him.

Yes, once I am done In Sept (I changed classes so I could get away from the firemen who were compelled to be there) I will be going back to the academy to finish Fire II, and then go on to work somewhere as a Career Fireman. Don't even attempt to read into that as me going to Medic school merely to get hired. If that were the case, I would not come to this site and put up with the arrogant attitude that many people display here.

Now FireGuard69 it is time for you to quit making the personal attacks that got you banned last time.

I posted a few responses in line in your above quoted post.

I was not even referencing wildland fires. The radiant heat from a structure fire WILL ignite the houses on either side of it, if it is not promptly extinguised.

10 or less?! Was your dept trying to kill firemen?

Command

Chauffer

Safety Officer

3 on the initial attack line

2 on the backup line

2 doing an initial search

2 doing outside ventilation

2 doing interior ops (opening up walls, or ceilings to expose fire)

4 personnel on FAST

And with that, you will need the "utility infielders" to assist where needed.

Where do you get off saying that we get as close to utopia no matter what the cost?!

Granted, in many places, EMS takes a back seat to suppression. However, the line firemen and officers, for the most part will do their very best to ensure the pt. receives the highest level of care possible. The officer of Squad 41 was reassigned, and disciplined, despite the fact that his actions saved the life of the patient.

And to insinuate that Fire only cares about protecting property is nothing short of ignorant as well. RECO-VS says it, it is taught from DAY ONE in the academy, you save lives, you mitigate the incident, you protect property.

To accuse me of personal attacks when you personally attack the motives and moral charachter of firemen everywhere is nothing short of hypocritical. Statements like these only further the rift between the services when the other is blissfully ignorent of the duties of the other.

Were it not for the vast amount of information on this site that I find useful for going through Medic school, and to possibly aid my future patients, I would, without a doubt, leave it, and its self righteous attitude behind. I came here to further my education, and most of what I have found are self aggrandizing attacks on fellow public servants who are victims of their own management.

I was not even referencing wildland fires. The radiant heat from a structure fire WILL ignite the houses on either side of it, if it is not promptly extinguised. And if built properly and if homeowner landscapes properly this is a non issue. 10 or less?! Was your dept trying to kill firemen? Nope just working with what is actually needed.

Command

Chauffer

Safety Officer

3 on the initial attack line

2 on the backup line

2 doing an initial search

2 doing outside ventilation

2 doing interior ops (opening up walls, or ceilings to expose fire)

4 personnel on FAST

And with that, you will need the "utility infielders" to assist where needed.

Where do you get off saying that we get as close to utopia no matter what the cost?!

Granted, in many places, EMS takes a back seat to suppression. However, the line firemen and officers, for the most part will do their very best to ensure the pt. receives the highest level of care possible. The officer of Squad 41 was reassigned, and disciplined, despite the fact that his actions saved the life of the patient.

And to insinuate that Fire only cares about protecting property is nothing short of ignorant as well. RECO-VS says it, it is taught from DAY ONE in the academy, you save lives, you mitigate the incident, you protect property. What the book says compared to what the evidence shows proves me right.

To accuse me of personal attacks when you personally attack the motives and moral charachter of firemen everywhere is nothing short of hypocritical. Statements like these only further the rift between the services when the other is blissfully ignorent of the duties of the other. I am not ignorant of fire as I was one for many years and turned down many addition fire positions. I am still recruited because of my knowledge and experience even though I am to old by most standards.

Were it not for the vast amount of information on this site that I find useful for going through Medic school, and to possibly aid my future patients, I would, without a doubt, leave it, and its self righteous attitude behind. I came here to further my education, and most of what I have found are self aggrandizing attacks on fellow public servants who are victims of their own management.

I am glad you find this a useful resource as do I. I hope you the best in both your fire and EMS education. But I will always maintain you cannot be the best in two so different fields.

I am glad you find this a useful resource as do I. I hope you the best in both your fire and EMS education. But I will always maintain you cannot be the best in to so different fields.

Honestly, I feel that I am just banging my head against a wall, arguing with all the ignorance here.

That's not a wall. It's a mirror.

If you do not under stand fire behavior, in both the wildland/urban interface, and structural firefighting, how can you in good conscious advocate cutting resources?

I was a professional firefighter ten years before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. I have a bachelor degree minor in Fire Protection. Now, as a 20 year old volunteer, you're really going to stick with the belief that you are the only person here at EMT City that understands fire protection? That's worse than ignorance. That's arrogant delusion.

How do you think that they will be able to attract, and keep more quality people? Bring people over from the interfacility side? Most of them are just competent to pass the test, let alone take care of a critical patient.

Sounds a lot like the firemonkeys I went to paramedic school with, actually. About two of us even wanted to be medics in the first place, much less be good medics.

Dept. Public Works, Sanitation Dept, city administrators, why are you not going after them?

Fire has been providing first response EMS since before EMS even existed.

Just curious, did you skip the professional history day in your paramedic class, or did they simply FAIL to give that class? I guess when you try to pack a whole 700 hours into 9 months, something has to be left out, eh?

I am NOT in favor of Fire transportation. I am not in favor of Fire providing full ALS care.

I am in favor of EMS getting more funding, and cutting Fire Dept ambulances, in favor of a third party EMS agency. I am in favor of ILS, and ACLS certified firemen on Engines, or even better, a Squad 51 type vehicle, to provide first response care for the patient.

Of course not. That would require you to actually take some professional responsibility, do a lot more paperwork, and spend a lot less time in the recliner chair. You just want to drive the big red truck real fast a lot, get your picture taken, then go back to the house to play dominoes. You just demonstrated exactly why the fire service has no business doing this. Because they simply do not have that professional commitment. They're just looking for a hobby to keep their picture on the front page and their run numbers high enough to justify their budget. Again, if you can't justify your budget and existence without stealing someone else's numbers, then you, your leadership, and your profession FAIL.

Cutting fire apparatus to fund EMS is NOT the answer. Get off that idea. Quit being a cry baby because you can't get on a fire dept, or a fireman stole your girlfriend.

Again, many of the people you are trying to bullshit here ARE firemen. You're not the only person here to sleep through a three-month fire school, young hero. That nonsense may fly with your stupid buddies who know even less than you about EMS and the fire service, but you had best remember who you are talking to here.

The only reason those fire apparatus were added in the first place was so that they could augment EMS. No harm in losing what you didn't need in the first place, although I suppose a 20 year old rookie might be the first to face the axe come cutback time, so I can see where your panic comes from. And it is very obvious that this is not an intelligent discussion for you. It is simply emotionally charged panic. Stick to the facts, although apparently you have learned few of those in your fledgling "career".

Seriously, you've got a lot of nerve to come here with not even a year of professional EMS or fire experience and try to tell us all that we are ignorant.

I have yet to see an ambulance put out a fire.

My partner and I put out a car fire with the extinguishers from the unit. The car caught on fire in the parking lot of the store we were posted at. Fire arrived about five minutes later, pissed off we did their job. The irony was astounding. :wink:

Yeah, I've seen that. Even if the fire is completely out and there is no further danger, you absolutely cannot convince them that there is no need to respond code-3 to "investigate".

But tell them they aren't needed at a medical scene and watch how fast they do a U-turn back to the station. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.