Two People Killed In Accident Involving Firetruck

Jessi

WSLS News Staff

Published: May 26, 2008

State Police tell 10 On Your Side an Eagle Rock Volunteer Fire truck was on its way to another accident on Route 220 north in Botetourt Co. when it collided with a pick-up truck.

The accident happened between Eagle rock and Kelleys Market just after 6 p.m.

State Police say the pick-up truck was traveling south on Rt. 220.

Two men inside the pick-up truck were killed.

At this time, their names aren’t being released.

The man driving the fire truck was taken to Roanoke Memorial Hospital but is expected to be okay.

State Police are investigating and will release more information as it becomes available.

Here is a link to the news video:

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article...re_truck/11600/

I'll update this as more information is released.

WSLS News Staff

Published: May 27, 2008

Updated 10:08 a.m.

State Police have released the names of the two people in the pick-up truck killed in the crash last night.

They are 44-year-old Russell Meadows and 46-year-old Judi Martin. Both were from Alleghany County.

Troopers say both wore their seatbelts, and alcohol does not appear to be a factor.

That is sad but just goes to show no one is invinsible. So any charges being filed?

I seen a small image, from the side where the pick up was. That thing was absolutely crushed. Yanno how it works on rural roads, everyone goes fast, and hopes nobody else is coming. It looks like speed was a factor in the cause of death, just from pictures, and it was probably mutual speed infractions.

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article...allenges/11687/

Deadly fire truck crash investigation meets challenges

By Scott Leamon

WSLS10 Reporter

Published: May 27, 2008

The state trooper in charge of reconstructing the accident which killed two people in Botetourt County over the holiday weekend confirmed the investigation has hit stumbling blocks.

The Eagle Rock volunteer fire department truck crashed into another vehicle on the way to another accident scene Sunday evening.

State police Sgt. Matthew Brannock said he is still trying to determine the exact point of impact in the crash, an important element of his reconstruction.

Brannock also said he is investigating how far the Eagle Rock volunteer fire department pumper, driven by Lucas McCulloch, crossed the center line on Route 220.

Brannock said the fire truck had no “black box”, or a device found in some vehicles which records information such as speed and braking during an accident.

Brannock said the black box inside the pick up truck, carrying driver Russell Meadows and passenger Judi Martin, was all but destroyed by the impact of the head-on collision.

The accident is still very much under investigation, Brannock confirmed.

Brannock said, while it had rained, at least initially in the investigation, it appears weather was not much of a factor in the crash.

Eagle Rock volunteer fire department chief Darryl Johns said McCulloch suffered a concussion in the accident.

McCulloch has volunteered for the past 12 years, Johns said.

Johns said McCulloch is fully certified in every category.

A driving history check performed by 10 On Your Side at the Botetourt County General District Court revealed only one prior traffic ticket written to McCulloch.

McCulloch was cited for reckless driving on October 30, 2002 for moving 84 mph in a 55 mph zone, according to the court document.

The document shows the charge was later dismissed due to “defective equipment.”

Johns said McCulloch informed the department about the citation and was not allowed to drive fire apparatus for one year.

It seems very possible the fire truck was driving too fast and might have been at fault. A perfect example to support emphasis on proper training and safety for operating an emergency vehicle-professional or volunteer. Even though it's fun to volunteer, people have to remember they must have due regard for others and although it's really exciting to run "lights and si-reens" to a call, you must do it safely. How is it going to benefit the people you're going to help if you don't make it to the scene and kill others in the process?

The articles and everything only mention one person in the fire engine. If that is the case, it only re-affirms my opinion that a large fire apparatus in the emergency mode always needs to have at least two people to watch for hazards. Our SOP's will not allow a person to respond alone on an engine or truck co.

The articles and everything only mention one person in the fire engine. If that is the case, it only re-affirms my opinion that a large fire apparatus in the emergency mode always needs to have at least two people to watch for hazards. Our SOP's will not allow a person to respond alone on an engine or truck co.

Not just to look for hazards. Having driven both an Ambulance, and a QUINT, I feel that the Officer should be operating the radio, Federal, Airhorns, and siren. That is that much less that the Chauffer has to do.

You need to know your vehicle and your own limitations, strength, and weaknesses and respect them. That's one thing I learned. You need to keep in mind of the weight of the vehicle and how well or not so well how the vehicle handles. It's not just you and your crew whose lives are in your hands.

I am now confused.

Why did the pick up truck have a recording device? Something about the pick up truck's drivers or the vehicle's ownership, that I missed in reading the articles?

My condolences to the families of the deceased, and to the driver of the involved departmental vehicle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.