My certification is on the line!

xaby

true Steve, but if the community has the same feelings for the instructor as the two students have chances are this was an excellent opportunity to have him trip over himself and laugh him right out of the community. Im sure these arent the only two that have had a complaint. Id check with anyone else who had gone through the class previously and see if they had similiar treatment.

I would also talk with other instructors in your area and see what their opinion is. If he's not well liked by other area instructors chances are that he's not well liked by the local EMS community either.

But Id also keep my head down and my mouth shut until the investigation was finished. If the state finds nothing wrong, Id just say screw it and go through someone else to do it and explain the situation to them, they might offer a lower tuition to re-take the class for their trouble with a previous instructior/instituition since it is the same board and DOH that certifies them, or allow them to sit in on a test/examination.

Once again, my two cents for what its worth.

-Alco

Or you could let the air out of his vehicles tires......... :roll:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true Steve, but if the community has the same feelings for the instructor as the two students have chances are this was an excellent opportunity to have him trip over himself and laugh him right out of the community. Im sure these arent the only two that have had a complaint. Id check with anyone else who had gone through the class previously and see if they had similiar treatment.

I would also talk with other instructors in your area and see what their opinion is. If he's not well liked by other area instructors chances are that he's not well liked by the local EMS community either.

But Id also keep my head down and my mouth shut until the investigation was finished. If the state finds nothing wrong, Id just say screw it and go through someone else to do it and explain the situation to them, they might offer a lower tuition to re-take the class for their trouble with a previous instructior/instituition since it is the same board and DOH that certifies them, or allow them to sit in on a test/examination.

Once again, my two cents for what its worth.

-Alco

Don't mean to be blunt Dix, but you're not exactly one who should be giving out advice on how to cause trouble for EMS authority figures since you've painted yourself into a corner in regards to impressions you've made in your area.

We have heard from the instructor that next year,.. the course will become a one period only course,... it'd only be about 42 minutes a day instead of the usual 80 some odd minutes,... so the students are no longer able to take the state exam and get the certification, it's going to become a course of emergency care instead of an EMT-B course. He also told us to spread the word and get parents involved to make the course 2 periods again, I recently graduated from that school so I'm not sure if this is really going to happen, I will ask my cousins that are still in the school next year to keep me updated.

I'm from Long Island, New York..been an EMT for almost 6 years and I am due up for my 2ND challenge refresher in the next 12 months....I'm brand new to EMT City here on the web and have read the posts pertaining to this situation. I'd agree with everyone else that you both got shafted and that's not fair. It also sounds like the instructor has no clue what he's doing or doesn't care. When we took our practicals to get certified the first time it was very straight forward..hell, they even gave us a copy of the packet that had all the things listed that they look for when they test you so you'd know what to do and remember the little thing (BSI and scene safety anyone?) So it sounds like something is definitely up at that school and should be looked in to, I can't believe the school administrators were not interested in looking into this! If they offer the class and something happens like this they should HAVE to do something! So much for the city school system!! :?

Well, I called Karen Meggenhofen today, who is almost impossible to reach (always voicemail). She directed me to the city bureau, where she said an investigation was started on Xaby and my behalf. I called the city today and it turns out they had us on file but didnt begin the investigation yet. I found the person who was supposed to investigate and was told that my case was not begun becasue there was a more urgent sexual harassment case to address. I was told a deep investigation would be done because I was never registered, and that I would get an answer in a month about the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Xaby,

You said in one post that you would find it a financial hardship to retake the entire course. You might check out any local volunteer rescue squads who would be willing to pay for your training if you join the company.

Our company is strictly volunteer, and we pay for any member who takes classes, excluding the Paramedic qualification. All books, materials are paid for by our squad, and the member becomes a volunteer, takes time on the duty roster, etc. It's great experience, as you get to go on calls, become familiar with the rigs, get qualified to drive, learn the communications system, etc. while you're training. Plus, you're giving to the community, and that REALLY feels good.

Check into it, if you think it might be for you, and best of luck with everything!

Lin57EMT

Just relax and let the investigation run its course. The folks at DOH are good people, and if you are right, you will be vindicated.

As for testing, NY allows students up to 12 months after the scheduled end of the course to complete certification testing. You should have plenty of time yet.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.