What happend? Documentation...

Ummm.........If they can't tell the difference between V-Tach and Asystole, Bainbridge, we have a problem.

The crew said V-Tach, documented V-Tach, the hospital said the pt. was in V-Fib upon arrival, then the medic said it was Asystole. WTF?

The list of places not to visit continues to grow daily.

Should a code summary not have been printed out?

Or at least available to the QA person?

Sounds like all the facts are not here. So, I will reserve judgement.

Personally I have never seen asytole spontaneously convert to vfib .. I wont reserve judgement, the pt should have been shocked clearly. Now the question is why not? Gear not working? Didn't have pads? Who knows, all i know is it is criminal to lose (or equivalent) a person of that age who has arrested in front of you!

I find it a little strange that the subject of remediation or discipline was never brought up in this story. The Asst. Chief says they admit a screw-up in documentation. I guess that's a start. But what were the consequences? I don't recall ever seeing such a story before where they didn't even briefly bring up what did or did not happen to the offending medics. Weird.

I want to know what hospital works a code for 90 minutes.

I find it a little strange that the subject of remediation or discipline was never brought up in this story. The Asst. Chief says they admit a screw-up in documentation. I guess that's a start. But what were the consequences? I don't recall ever seeing such a story before where they didn't even briefly bring up what did or did not happen to the offending medics. Weird.

From what I've seen, the report ends with "Management refused to disclose the current status of those involved, saying they do not discuss personnel matters" or something similar.

But you're right, they usually at least say something.

I want to know what hospital works a code for 90 minutes.

I believe it said they got a workable rhythm back twice in that time...So I guess I can see it happening...

Dwayne

Overall, it seems like the reporters in this story try to stick to the facts and remain somewhat objective. However, I take offense to the comment they make about the departments history, saying that they only managed to bring back one out of twenty cardiac arrests. Of course they make no mention of any of the patient's history pre-arrest, and simply use the stat to make them look bad.

Agreed. That was presented way out of context, and it does appear that it was done so intentionally to inflame.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, this appears to be negligence. As irme said, I've never seen asystole spontaneously convert to v-fib. The fact that no code summary was provided? No copies of a rhythm strip? The paramedic wrote pulseless VT in his report, then after the fact says she was in asystole? Come on...

Maybe it is the media skewing facts, but this is all really fishy to me...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.